Unsure of what to do?

Hello, 

My names Nev, I am 26 years old and I am currently at a bit of a loss with how to proceed in certain aspects of my life. 

Very vague! I know! I haven't been diagnosed, however I have had multiple people who are very close to me suggest that I could be on the spectrum and surprisingly thats a very confusing thing as I now try to educate myself on the subject. 

My biggest question is just 'how do you know?'

My partner and I have been together for almost four years now and I know that a lot of my behaviour can and does upset her from time to time. 

I also thought I was particularly ok in social scenarios as I've worked in bars most of my adult life and locals and I usually get along really well. I've also had it pointed out by my partner though that I can be great... As long as I can be bothered or if my moods in the right place. 

Emotions in general are a particular hard spot as we differ in our approach to things. I tend to look at most events practically and logically and if there's no benefit to feeling a certain way about something I wont. Although I do experience swings of exhaustion and depression for seemingly no reason at all, it's just what the day has in store for me. 

I have a friend with Autism and he directed me to speaking to others about it and to see if anyone can shed some light on my circumstances or if I can possibly relate to others in similar predicaments. 

I guess I am just a little lost with all the information lately and I could use some help with it, if anyone finds the time to read this ... what is now lengthy post. Thank you. I hope I can get to the bottom of it all. 

Parents
  • Hi Nevs, who are these "multiple people" who are suggesting you may be on the spectrum? What gives them the expertise to be able to make such claims? What traits are they noticing in you that brings them to the conclusion of potential ASD? There are so many things that can cause difficulties.

What were you like as a child? Any developmental delays? Hyperactivity? Any special interests or high intellect, but difficulty learning despite this? Were you able to engage with other kids or did you hang out on your own? Did you always feel different to other people but had no idea why? So many potential things that could be markers. To be honest, nothing you have said really screams out ASD to me. To be fair you haven't written enough to form any judgment.

Did you do the AQ10 test online, as suggested? This really is your starting point. Apologies for all the questions, but if you go for an NHS ASD assessment you'll need to be able to explain why you think you have ASD & why you need a diagnosis. They turn you down otherwise. I do think that if finances allow that getting a private diagnosis is the way to go. Save yourself 2-3 years waiting. Good luck. 

• Hi Nevs, who are these "multiple people" who are suggesting you may be on the spectrum? What gives them the expertise to be able to make such claims? What traits are they noticing in you that brings them to the conclusion of potential ASD? There are so many things that can cause difficulties.

What were you like as a child? Any developmental delays? Hyperactivity? Any special interests or high intellect, but difficulty learning despite this? Were you able to engage with other kids or did you hang out on your own? Did you always feel different to other people but had no idea why? So many potential things that could be markers. To be honest, nothing you have said really screams out ASD to me. To be fair you haven't written enough to form any judgment.

Did you do the AQ10 test online, as suggested? This really is your starting point. Apologies for all the questions, but if you go for an NHS ASD assessment you'll need to be able to explain why you think you have ASD & why you need a diagnosis. They turn you down otherwise. I do think that if finances allow that getting a private diagnosis is the way to go. Save yourself 2-3 years waiting. Good luck. 

Children
No Data