Autism is a real disability to some,,,,,,, are you such a person ?

sayings like , "autism is a superpower" or "autism isn't a disability, it is a different ability" worry me sometimes

I feel like this invalidates people who aren't quite comfortable with being Autistic or Autistic people who feel as though their ASD has more negative than positive impacts or those who feel as though their diagnosis has an equal amount of positive and negative effects. 

I understand these sayings have positive intentions and are meant to empower Autistic people, but it just kinda comes off as inspirational stuff to me. Again this is good. 

But two thirds of autistic people are in the mid and severe ends of the spectrum and so will probably never/rarely be in this forum or have their voice/opinions heard.

I am lucky to be the way I am.  But there are days I wish I could swallow a pill and my autism would be gone.

I am equal amounts of positive and negative with shrinking negatives.

But I always think about those who are really suffering on the spectrum.

Do you feel Autism is a real downer for you  ?  how bad is it ? and most importantly ,,,,,,,,,What can be done to help or change things for you?

Parents
  • For me, I would class myself as a person with autism and mental health. I believe it is an aspect of ourselves but does not have to define us as people. I personally choose to embrace it and each person with autism has a unique perspective on life. Social integration is always challenging for me and can come under being misunderstood or not catching on to important social cues, especially relationships with partners because of the need to take time out on the rollercoaster of managing emotions. Deep down people can be who they want to as we all bleed the same.

• Rojah, I think what you mean is you mental ill-health. We all have mental health because we all have a mind and all our minds have a state of health. What differs is the state of health of our mind. We can be either mentally well or mentally ill.  So, it's autism and mental ill-health.

• Hi Michael, thank you for sharing this. I am always learning to use the correct terminology within the community and will find this invaluable. I agree that having mental ill-health there are moments you can feel alright and not so great the next so the mind can definitely differ from time to time. I have to be thankful I have a caring family and friends for support and to talk to when times get tough.

• Hi Michael, thank you for sharing this. I am always learning to use the correct terminology within the community and will find this invaluable. I agree that having mental ill-health there are moments you can feel alright and not so great the next so the mind can definitely differ from time to time. I have to be thankful I have a caring family and friends for support and to talk to when times get tough.

Children
No Data