Are you a parent?

I'm interested if other people are parents. I have two daughters, age 3 and 7. They are part of what prompted me to speak to my GP about autism as I found myself often being very blunt and cold towards them. My 7yr old told her dad that I love my dog more than her because I give it more attention. I do find stroking my dog soothing, whereas I really struggle with my children trying to grab me all the time. I also feel an aversion to their voices if they speak too loud or too much. It feels so horrible to say that as I do love my children. I can't stand being around young children generally because of the noises that they make, so it isnt just my own children. My 3yr old also told her childminder that I don't like her sitting on my knee, which is true but it sounds absolutely awful when she says it to other people so I just laughed it off. 

I dont want my children to think I don't love them. 

Parents
  • Yeah don't feel bad about it. I adore my gf but I do feel relieved when she clears of for a bit and I can be in my own environment. Shes autistic too so I guess she must feel the same. Its just part and parcel of ASD but you do need to try to make an effort to make sure they understand whats going on by just being straight with them but in a kid friendly way. 

• Yeah don't feel bad about it. I adore my gf but I do feel relieved when she clears of for a bit and I can be in my own environment. Shes autistic too so I guess she must feel the same. Its just part and parcel of ASD but you do need to try to make an effort to make sure they understand whats going on by just being straight with them but in a kid friendly way. 

Children
No Data