Does anyone feel like...

Does anyone feel like they are defective with their diagnosis? It’s a term I use to describe myself a lot and I’m always berated for it by others - mostly professionals - but I am very literal in what I say so my choice of word I believe is correct. I grant a lack of self worth is a factor in how I evaluate myself but I don’t think calling myself defective (or weird is the other label I give myself) is in any way unfair.

Evidentially: I can’t make friends for trying, my outlooks on the world and others are abstract, I can’t cope with some basic things many can - defective right? 

Parents
  • I'll be honest with you. I totally don't think like this. I'm a very positive person and always look for the best in things. Yes, I have a lot of problems but there are so many positives of being on the spectrum. So what if I don't get invited to parties and don't have many friends. These things are exhausting anyway. I'll put my energies into things I enjoy and if I find others who enjoy these things then brilliant. If not then it's fine.

Set yourself challenges to reach, think of someone who can be a role model to you and you can one day be like them. 

• I'll be honest with you. I totally don't think like this. I'm a very positive person and always look for the best in things. Yes, I have a lot of problems but there are so many positives of being on the spectrum. So what if I don't get invited to parties and don't have many friends. These things are exhausting anyway. I'll put my energies into things I enjoy and if I find others who enjoy these things then brilliant. If not then it's fine.

Set yourself challenges to reach, think of someone who can be a role model to you and you can one day be like them. 

Children
  • My challenge has always been to develop a better social network - I do try but I’ve not had much success if I’m fair :-/ Role model wise there’s elements of so many people I aspire too so I’ll have to try and think who’ll make the best candidate!