Struggling with understanding own emotions.

Hello everyone I’ve always had some difficulties with understanding some of my emotions I know when it’s super obvious like if I’m laughing my head off about something but I keep thinking about my autism assessment I was asked several times what I was feeling or how I felt about something and I couldn’t really answer properly does anyone else suffer with this sort of thing is it to do with my autism?

Parents
  • yes loads in here do. I'll let them answer. I find talking about emotions hard because within a few questions I usually get stuck. It is as if  have less access to emotions, or I am defensive about emotions  or slower processing of emotions or less memory of emotions.  I cant put my finger on the issue. 

Is my sadness emotion the same as another autistic's sadness or a how about a neurotypical brain ?  

• I think it's possible that autistic people have some emotions that neurotypical people don't usually get. That might explain why it's hard to talk about them. For example, I get an emotion where I'm sort of detached from reality and my mind is very blank and I don't know if minutes or hours have passed. Or, my favourite emotion is when I have a special project and I'm 100% focused on it, ultra-productive, ultra-creative and intensely happy. I can describe these emotions but it takes too many words.

• I think it's possible that autistic people have some emotions that neurotypical people don't usually get. That might explain why it's hard to talk about them. For example, I get an emotion where I'm sort of detached from reality and my mind is very blank and I don't know if minutes or hours have passed. Or, my favourite emotion is when I have a special project and I'm 100% focused on it, ultra-productive, ultra-creative and intensely happy. I can describe these emotions but it takes too many words.

Children