Emotions

Okay so this might seem disjointed as it's late and brain isn't working too well. Anyway. I have been recently noticing that I do not know what many emotions feel like. I know this sounds strange, but I don't know what being happy feels like for example. The only one I know well is anger (I think). Does anyone else have this issue and is there a way to help you feel these things? I know it's an autistic trait but wondering about other people's own experiences. Thanks!

• do u have fish ? i need to know

• I have this!  I am so sooo glad I am not the only one :) I just be most of the time.  I don't feel...  Until it is too late.  And then I am stuck.  Do you know what I mean?  

• oh i thought, there was some online game/training  somewhere Slight smile

• does anyone know of these social games ?

I know that there are social games out there aimed at helping those on the spectrum with this sort of thing
  • I completely get you! It was only when I had children that I realised that I don't know what many emotions are; I would be reading a book that expressed various emotions, i.e. via pictures and I would have no idea what it was! My children often point to a picture and say "they're sad" etc, but I only really know sad, happy, frustrated and angry - I know there are more purely because of children books and emojis - of which I have no clue about! 

As far as feeling things, I am not too good with my emotions full stop, I can't control them what ever it is that I am feeling, and often find that I don't understand what it is that I am feeling, or why for that matter. So I am afraid I am not much help. I know that there are social games out there aimed at helping those on the spectrum with this sort of thing, but, I do not know if they are aimed at children or adults, or if they are actually of any help.

• I can relate to this-I find it extremely difficult to articulate "what" emotions are or how they "feel". I remember when I was being tested for a diagnosis for Asperger's Syndrome in my early teens, part of it involved me having to describe emotions such as "happy" or "angry". I couldn't describe them at all, and it's still something I struggle with to this day. 

I don't really have any advice for helping one "feel" these emotions; I guess for me it's just accepting that perhaps I won't understand them in the same way as other people, but that's okay! 

• I asked my dad the other day to not make a joke of me whilst visiting my mum...he thinks it's humour; I don't. He promptly walked out and told me not to visit him again. I've been so upset I've had quite a few shut downs and the confusion and upset have just been going round and round for days now...it's like a cycle I can't get out of.

• It was just cheap Aldi with some dried ginger in it but I don't know; been a bit down lately.

• just occured to me, so I know how being embarrassed feels like to lol

• Same here.

A lot of depressed because of bullies, or just mean people, that are mean, because they can, and you happened to be on their way, but I get home and  I get to normal quickly.

I get angry sometimes, but it's so intense it burns out in seconds, and I'm normal again.

Being excited about something I like and being happy feels alike to me, so I'm not sure if I get it right.

Most embarrassing is I'm not sure if what I felt for my exgirlfriend was actually love, no other entries to compare to unfortunately, luckily for me I've never told her that, otherwise it would over long time ago.

Maybe unintentionally we're doing it to ourselves by masking, to learn to recognise, and name it, you need to experience it, and we need a lot more time and entries for that process to take effect.

• yep... i feel the same. i don't no what i like, for example. (i'm using 'like' as an emotion, which was your question.) everyone may tell me what i like; but it is pretty rude to tell someone what is going on in their mind. and those people of course are ............ wrong.  they mean well, but actually are simply (and maybe unintentionally) mean. i think certain aspies (this one) may need to learn the emotions NT's simply acquire at a very very very very very young age, and  therfore take for granted.

i think one must be open to new experiences, try out many things, and be prepared to discard other things (interests). it takes some time, and is a continual process. but, for me, since i no this, i'm open to new things, or try to be. basically i'm trying to be myself (an aspie) in an NT world. 

idk if this is helpful or simply mindless drivel, btw.

• That's part of the problem I have too. I can't deal with the emotions because I don't know if I'm feeling them until everything gets too much. The human mind is so perplexing.

• Yep sometimes I wonder if they've had any awareness training at all. 

• u must make good coffee 

• Know what you mean; I spilt my coffee earlier and was in tears about it.

• I have run out of expletives to cope with certain aspects of life.

When life deals lemons, make Lemonade! And sell it, to add yo your LinkedIn Profile. Slight smile

• This whole area is confusing. Emotions, feelings, and some other word psychologists include in this.

if someone upsets me I can not experience it for a week or more, I guess I'm in shutdown. Often I don't know what I'm feeling until i tell the story to someone and they'll say "you must be upset," and then i'll know. most of the time with negative emotions i just experience being perplexed, or depressed.

i experience positive ones, but I know not as often or to the same extent as others.

I think not experiencing my emotions can lead me not to act, which can mean me being taken advantage of, bullied or not withdrawing myself from a negative environment. It's so hard!