Emotions

Okay so this might seem disjointed as it's late and brain isn't working too well. Anyway. I have been recently noticing that I do not know what many emotions feel like. I know this sounds strange, but I don't know what being happy feels like for example. The only one I know well is anger (I think). Does anyone else have this issue and is there a way to help you feel these things? I know it's an autistic trait but wondering about other people's own experiences. Thanks!

Parents
  • I completely get you! It was only when I had children that I realised that I don't know what many emotions are; I would be reading a book that expressed various emotions, i.e. via pictures and I would have no idea what it was! My children often point to a picture and say "they're sad" etc, but I only really know sad, happy, frustrated and angry - I know there are more purely because of children books and emojis - of which I have no clue about! 

As far as feeling things, I am not too good with my emotions full stop, I can't control them what ever it is that I am feeling, and often find that I don't understand what it is that I am feeling, or why for that matter. So I am afraid I am not much help. I know that there are social games out there aimed at helping those on the spectrum with this sort of thing, but, I do not know if they are aimed at children or adults, or if they are actually of any help.

• I completely get you! It was only when I had children that I realised that I don't know what many emotions are; I would be reading a book that expressed various emotions, i.e. via pictures and I would have no idea what it was! My children often point to a picture and say "they're sad" etc, but I only really know sad, happy, frustrated and angry - I know there are more purely because of children books and emojis - of which I have no clue about! 

As far as feeling things, I am not too good with my emotions full stop, I can't control them what ever it is that I am feeling, and often find that I don't understand what it is that I am feeling, or why for that matter. So I am afraid I am not much help. I know that there are social games out there aimed at helping those on the spectrum with this sort of thing, but, I do not know if they are aimed at children or adults, or if they are actually of any help.

Children