Obsession with people

Is it a normal autistic thing to gain obsessive interests with people they gain sexual attraction to?

Parents
  • In my readings so far on an autism spectrum condition called PDA (pathological demand avoidance), obsessions with people is deemed to be fairly common. I'm not sure about other autism conditions but then I've not read quite as deeply on the other ones.

As with many areas of life, obsession can range from being a relatively natural part of life, to crossing certain boundaries and becoming distinctly unhealthy (and possibly illegal) depending on how the obsession plays out.

• yes u can end up on a stalking charge nowadays or harassment (?).  Like u say depending on how bad it gets. 

• It is true.

There is also another side of obsession. I used to write umpteen poems about the ones I took a fancy to at school. I read up the meanings of their names and fit those themes into the poems. But they were interested in others and so, with time, my interests moved on too. As I grew up, my obsessions played out rather more as devotion one could say.

Where would romance be without a little bit of obsession?

Then on the other side, looking up where someone lives, taking unauthorised photos of them etc. Then it falls into the realm of stalking and into illegal and unhealthy territory.

• It is true.

There is also another side of obsession. I used to write umpteen poems about the ones I took a fancy to at school. I read up the meanings of their names and fit those themes into the poems. But they were interested in others and so, with time, my interests moved on too. As I grew up, my obsessions played out rather more as devotion one could say.

Where would romance be without a little bit of obsession?

Then on the other side, looking up where someone lives, taking unauthorised photos of them etc. Then it falls into the realm of stalking and into illegal and unhealthy territory.

Children
  • its not weird to talk about sex. how were u set up ? please explain.

• It seems to be with a fair bunch of us with autism that, when we like something (be it a hobby, a line of work or a potential partner) we often -really- like that something/someone.

I guess we live and learn. When I was late teens/early twenties, I talked a lot about the people I was interested in with friends. I guess I was fortunate in that most of my friends were people I can still trust a couple of decades later.

A fair amount of younger people don't really see how much damage they can do by breaking trust. Hopefully the third party will learn a bit of tact as they get older and more experienced.

I guess though, for now, you've found out who not to trust on things like this. There are trustworthy people out there. Sometimes it's a bit trial and error though finding which ones are the trustworthy ones.

• Yeah the reason I ask is, I’m autistic, I found this person very attractive and subsequently began to talk sexually about them to a third party, not knowing they were setting me up. It’s just made me feel like a bit of a weirdo when in reality, I’m a very nice person to hang around with.