Alcoholism and autism?

I dont consider myself an alcoholic but I was wondering is anyone else found a connection between autism and alcoholism?

I find it easy to slip into unhealthy habits because getting drunk becomes a routine. Plus I'm guilty of getting obsessed with being "normal" so in my pursuit of this I find myself drinking every day because I guess alcohol culture normalizes drinking every day. and also, I find that social interactions and stuff that would overstimulate me become easier when I'm a little drunk

Is this normal? Are there studies behind it? Or am I just weird lol

Parents
  • I'm not sure if there's a connection, there may be, might be worth Googling to find out for sure. I don't drink alcohol, I really dislike the taste, every alcoholic drink tastes bitter to me and later causes me stomach ache and acid reflux. Likely because of IBS and the amount of Coca Cola I drink....

You're definitely not weird. It's natural to have a need and desire to be "normal". Not alcohol but I often go shopping instead of ordering online to be like everyone else, it often results in a meltdown but it's a normal every day thing that the majority do unaffected and I like to be the same.

As an outsider it's completely natural to want to do the same as everyone else. But like my doings causing meltdowns yours causes you to get drunk, not ideal for either of us.

You are fine as you are, don't change to fit in, embrace yourself and who you are. This is what I've been working on for myself and I'm happier for it.

*edit* I found this page on alcohol and autism.

https://www.arrowpassage.com/autism-and-alcohol/#:~:text=The%20more%20sociable%2C%20intelligent%2C%20or,their%20autism%20and%20alcohol%20use.&text=Those%20who%20are%20very%20socially,their%20autism%20and%20alcohol%20addiction.

It mentions alcohol possibly being used as a coping mechanism in some cases. A bit like smoking can be. Interesting reading actually, give it a look. I hope this helps and I hope you're doing well.

Take care of you and hope to see you about.

• I'm not sure if there's a connection, there may be, might be worth Googling to find out for sure. I don't drink alcohol, I really dislike the taste, every alcoholic drink tastes bitter to me and later causes me stomach ache and acid reflux. Likely because of IBS and the amount of Coca Cola I drink....

You're definitely not weird. It's natural to have a need and desire to be "normal". Not alcohol but I often go shopping instead of ordering online to be like everyone else, it often results in a meltdown but it's a normal every day thing that the majority do unaffected and I like to be the same.

As an outsider it's completely natural to want to do the same as everyone else. But like my doings causing meltdowns yours causes you to get drunk, not ideal for either of us.

You are fine as you are, don't change to fit in, embrace yourself and who you are. This is what I've been working on for myself and I'm happier for it.

*edit* I found this page on alcohol and autism.

https://www.arrowpassage.com/autism-and-alcohol/#:~:text=The%20more%20sociable%2C%20intelligent%2C%20or,their%20autism%20and%20alcohol%20use.&text=Those%20who%20are%20very%20socially,their%20autism%20and%20alcohol%20addiction.

It mentions alcohol possibly being used as a coping mechanism in some cases. A bit like smoking can be. Interesting reading actually, give it a look. I hope this helps and I hope you're doing well.

Take care of you and hope to see you about.

Children
No Data