Alcoholism and autism?

I dont consider myself an alcoholic but I was wondering is anyone else found a connection between autism and alcoholism?

I find it easy to slip into unhealthy habits because getting drunk becomes a routine. Plus I'm guilty of getting obsessed with being "normal" so in my pursuit of this I find myself drinking every day because I guess alcohol culture normalizes drinking every day. and also, I find that social interactions and stuff that would overstimulate me become easier when I'm a little drunk

Is this normal? Are there studies behind it? Or am I just weird lol

Parents
  • I drink alcohol because I have had anxiety (that is quite bad at baseline level and sometimes severe) and alcohol definitely temporarily gives me some help with that. However I’m very wary of the health impacts of alcohol so I restrict myself to just one drink in the evening - and try to have some days when I don’t have that one drink. I can totally understand why people who have difficult lives (annd most people who are autistic do have quite difficult lives in one way or another) end up regularly drinking alcohol. It numbs the pain. Thankfully my physical tolerance for alcohol is quite low so that has prevented me drinking large amounts. But I can totally see how that could easily happen to people if that wasn’t the case. Self medicating is so common in our society. As a society we don’t look after vulnerable people and many people are in pain and looking for an escape.

• I drink alcohol because I have had anxiety (that is quite bad at baseline level and sometimes severe) and alcohol definitely temporarily gives me some help with that. However I’m very wary of the health impacts of alcohol so I restrict myself to just one drink in the evening - and try to have some days when I don’t have that one drink. I can totally understand why people who have difficult lives (annd most people who are autistic do have quite difficult lives in one way or another) end up regularly drinking alcohol. It numbs the pain. Thankfully my physical tolerance for alcohol is quite low so that has prevented me drinking large amounts. But I can totally see how that could easily happen to people if that wasn’t the case. Self medicating is so common in our society. As a society we don’t look after vulnerable people and many people are in pain and looking for an escape.

Children
No Data