Alcoholism and autism?

I dont consider myself an alcoholic but I was wondering is anyone else found a connection between autism and alcoholism?

I find it easy to slip into unhealthy habits because getting drunk becomes a routine. Plus I'm guilty of getting obsessed with being "normal" so in my pursuit of this I find myself drinking every day because I guess alcohol culture normalizes drinking every day. and also, I find that social interactions and stuff that would overstimulate me become easier when I'm a little drunk

Is this normal? Are there studies behind it? Or am I just weird lol

Parents
  • I have only recently been diagnosed in my mid-50's last year so still coming to terms with it. But it has become obvious I use drink to cope with the stress of social situations and to cope with depression. So now I am considering carefully better ways to deal with these problems, but this is work in progress! I did mitigate by saying that "I would only drink when I had company and not by myself", but that I now think may not best thinking? When things are a bit more back to normal I will want to try other ways of dealing with these stresses?

• yes once u drink any alcohol that switches your dependency back on. When you stop drinking you must never drink again no matter what.

• That's not true for everyone.

• Yes. And your position is also only a personal opinion. Are you just looking for an argument? I'm very puzzled by your attitude. You seem to be simply responding aggressively with soundbites and ignoring every single point I raise?

• I agree. Which is why I've been clear that this is my personal experience and opinion only.

"So my opinion - and it's just an opinion"

• If you're arguing that abstinence is the only effective model for addressing alcohol addiction in every circumstance, then the onus is upon you to support that proposition with evidence. 

You seem to be ignoring every point I've raised without any discussion. Is there a reason for that?

• If you're arguing that abstinence is the only effective model for addressing alcohol addiction in every circumstance, then the onus is upon you to support that proposition with evidence. 

You seem to be ignoring every point I've raised without any discussion. Is there a reason for that?

Children