Autistic People can’t lie?

Hello everyone I have often heard and seen portrayed on films and T.V that autistic people find it impossible to lie which is funny to me because I’m autistic and I lie quite often only little one’s usually to get out of something I’m not comfortable with but I do often.

Is there any fellow autistics that can lie or do you find it impossible?

Parents
  • As a child and a teenager, I lied a lot. 

But looking back I think I didn't fully understand lies as I went the other way and told big huge whoppers that got me a lot of stick.

I told big whoppers to get out of things and well they'd get found out and then I'd look like an absolute a*******! 

But I also told lies because I was always sad and people always asked me why I was sad and I didn't have an answer other than, "I just am." but people expect a reason, a tangible reason. So I'd come out with something just so my sadness could be tangible to them. 

Again those lies got me in a lot of trouble and misunderstandings. 

I'm ashamed, now I look back at some of the lies I told. 

It made me appear manipulative. But none of my lies were ever planned out schemes, but off the cuff things I said in the moment to get them off my back. because if you just answer, "I just am" Or "I don't know why" people keep pushing for answers. 

Sometimes it was also a good way to try to explain away why I'd randomly go mute. If I could play it off as just being too sad by something tangible that happened, it made feel less weird of a person. 

Now as an adult I find it very difficult to lie. I'm always a bit scared of lying now due the past. 

Now if I lie, even a white lie, I am restless for the rest of the day about possibly being found out. 

But on the other hand, I've always been 'too honest' in certain social situations that has ultimately lead to me to be seen as 'weird' or 'insensitive' and then pushed out of social any social circles I've ever managed to get myself into. 

• As a child and a teenager, I lied a lot. 

But looking back I think I didn't fully understand lies as I went the other way and told big huge whoppers that got me a lot of stick.

I told big whoppers to get out of things and well they'd get found out and then I'd look like an absolute a*******! 

But I also told lies because I was always sad and people always asked me why I was sad and I didn't have an answer other than, "I just am." but people expect a reason, a tangible reason. So I'd come out with something just so my sadness could be tangible to them. 

Again those lies got me in a lot of trouble and misunderstandings. 

I'm ashamed, now I look back at some of the lies I told. 

It made me appear manipulative. But none of my lies were ever planned out schemes, but off the cuff things I said in the moment to get them off my back. because if you just answer, "I just am" Or "I don't know why" people keep pushing for answers. 

Sometimes it was also a good way to try to explain away why I'd randomly go mute. If I could play it off as just being too sad by something tangible that happened, it made feel less weird of a person. 

Now as an adult I find it very difficult to lie. I'm always a bit scared of lying now due the past. 

Now if I lie, even a white lie, I am restless for the rest of the day about possibly being found out. 

But on the other hand, I've always been 'too honest' in certain social situations that has ultimately lead to me to be seen as 'weird' or 'insensitive' and then pushed out of social any social circles I've ever managed to get myself into. 

Children