Autistic People can’t lie?

Hello everyone I have often heard and seen portrayed on films and T.V that autistic people find it impossible to lie which is funny to me because I’m autistic and I lie quite often only little one’s usually to get out of something I’m not comfortable with but I do often.

Is there any fellow autistics that can lie or do you find it impossible?

Parents
  • I can lie but I don't like it. Usually, it's caused by anxiety or when I really want to get out of something (which I think it's anxiety again). I prefer to be honest, it just feels better for me and I often do it in situations when it would be better for me to make something up. By no means I am a master of lies or anything like that, but I definitely can lie. Also, I think I should mention that in my family lies and secrets were present on a daily basis. So, growing up, I could observe all these overly complicated situations caused by lies and made up stories. When I was a kid I would do it too, cause it was something I've learnt. All this caused me to resent telling lies, but it made me understand it pretty well too.

• Yes lying always gives me anxiety afterwards definitely.

• Okay, I just gave it a little more thought and although I do feel bad when lying that's not always the case. I feel bad when lying about an important matter or when telling lies to people I care about or even just strangers I like for some reasons. But there are individuals I can lie to without feeling guilty (people I don't like). When I know for sure that my lie doesn't hurt anyone, and is just for my own peace I don't really dwell on that. There are also lies based on a wordplay, which always seemed to be more of a joke than a real lie.

• Okay, I just gave it a little more thought and although I do feel bad when lying that's not always the case. I feel bad when lying about an important matter or when telling lies to people I care about or even just strangers I like for some reasons. But there are individuals I can lie to without feeling guilty (people I don't like). When I know for sure that my lie doesn't hurt anyone, and is just for my own peace I don't really dwell on that. There are also lies based on a wordplay, which always seemed to be more of a joke than a real lie.

Children