Autistic People can’t lie?

Hello everyone I have often heard and seen portrayed on films and T.V that autistic people find it impossible to lie which is funny to me because I’m autistic and I lie quite often only little one’s usually to get out of something I’m not comfortable with but I do often.

Is there any fellow autistics that can lie or do you find it impossible?

Parents
  • A bit of both for myself.

I would say I find it very difficult to be ingenuine.

If circumstances dictate, I can lie but I greatly prefer not to. I may lie if I feel that I or someone else would be in danger if I did not.

By contrast, if I was being coerced into lying about something that would then lead to someone else to be hurt or significantly disadvantaged, I would find it very difficult to uphold such a lie.

Quite often, I will prefer to tell the truth even though it may disadvantage me in some way.

In some situations, it becomes really difficult to know whether or how much to lie/borderline lie. I know many people actively lie (either directly, by exaggeration, by omission or by taking credit for someone else's work) in job interviews. To me, this is ingenuine and I find job interviews extremely stressful as a result.

• I’m similar to you I don’t like to lie but I do if I really want to get out of something out of fear or anxiety or something that will ruin my routine apart from that I tell the truth on everything.

Reply Children
No Data