I am the mother of a son with aspergers diagnosed for a year. He is 32yrs .

He finds it very hard to talk and interact with other people and has no social life. He also blames me for him not getting diagnosed earlier. He believes it would have been easier to accept and he believes he may have had a better social circle.

Parents
  • It is strange being officially diagnosed, I did have suspicions for a few years because I did an online test after watching a tv program, at 60. I can see where things went wrong with my career and love. I have been lucky because getting to meet people is not difficult for me. The skill was forced on me during my time in the military.

Even though I now understand the reasons why things happened as they did, it does not stop me thinking what if, how could they and why did no-one do something. After a while I answered my own questions but I do still have resentments. 

It looks as if your son is at the 'what if' part and can not accept/ does not understand that things probably would not have been different. His personality, and those of other people would still have been the same. Autism is a reason not a cause.

He probably will settle a little but as I said, what ifs will remain.

Be brave, remember - things, good and bad, happen for a reason and that reason may not be obvious.

I wish you well.

• It is strange being officially diagnosed, I did have suspicions for a few years because I did an online test after watching a tv program, at 60. I can see where things went wrong with my career and love. I have been lucky because getting to meet people is not difficult for me. The skill was forced on me during my time in the military.

Even though I now understand the reasons why things happened as they did, it does not stop me thinking what if, how could they and why did no-one do something. After a while I answered my own questions but I do still have resentments. 

It looks as if your son is at the 'what if' part and can not accept/ does not understand that things probably would not have been different. His personality, and those of other people would still have been the same. Autism is a reason not a cause.

He probably will settle a little but as I said, what ifs will remain.

Be brave, remember - things, good and bad, happen for a reason and that reason may not be obvious.

I wish you well.

Children
No Data