Autism and talking to yourself

Hi,

I'm almost certain I have ASD for many reasons (haven't been tested yet), and when I'm on my own I constantly talk to myself, it's not just the odd word or line, I'm talking to myself & 'thinking out loud' most of the time I'm alone. For example, I might have a thought about a certain video I like, and I'll say "One second and I'll show you it" when there's nobody there, almost as if I'm pretending to talk to someone. Sounds very odd, I know. Would this be related with ASD?

Thanks!

Jake

Parents
  • I definitely do this. I was watching “Aspergers from the inside” on YouTube recently and he was saying how he has conversations over and over again because they weren’t perfect the first time. This is generally the route of my self talk. Either I had a conversation and wish I had said everything differently, or there is an up coming conversation I try to prepare for by talking both parts either out loud or in my head. I find It comforting and helps prepare me, which manages the anxiety better.

• I definitely do this. I was watching “Aspergers from the inside” on YouTube recently and he was saying how he has conversations over and over again because they weren’t perfect the first time. This is generally the route of my self talk. Either I had a conversation and wish I had said everything differently, or there is an up coming conversation I try to prepare for by talking both parts either out loud or in my head. I find It comforting and helps prepare me, which manages the anxiety better.

Children
No Data