Autism and talking to yourself

Hi,

I'm almost certain I have ASD for many reasons (haven't been tested yet), and when I'm on my own I constantly talk to myself, it's not just the odd word or line, I'm talking to myself & 'thinking out loud' most of the time I'm alone. For example, I might have a thought about a certain video I like, and I'll say "One second and I'll show you it" when there's nobody there, almost as if I'm pretending to talk to someone. Sounds very odd, I know. Would this be related with ASD?

Thanks!

Jake

Parents
  • I'm not sure if it's an autistic trait or something to do with OCD (I was diagnosed with both so it's sometimes difficult to work out which condition causes it) but it's something I often find myself doing. Like you, it's usually some random sentence (for me it's usually 'got work tommorrow' even though I've been on leave for over a year :p 

I realise when it starts it can be quite alarming, talking to yourself being one of the stereotypical 'crazy' things 'crazy' people do, but I've met enough NTs who do the same, so I don't think it's strictly limited to those with mental conditions. 

• I'm not sure if it's an autistic trait or something to do with OCD (I was diagnosed with both so it's sometimes difficult to work out which condition causes it) but it's something I often find myself doing. Like you, it's usually some random sentence (for me it's usually 'got work tommorrow' even though I've been on leave for over a year :p 

I realise when it starts it can be quite alarming, talking to yourself being one of the stereotypical 'crazy' things 'crazy' people do, but I've met enough NTs who do the same, so I don't think it's strictly limited to those with mental conditions. 

Children
No Data