Autism and talking to yourself

Hi,

I'm almost certain I have ASD for many reasons (haven't been tested yet), and when I'm on my own I constantly talk to myself, it's not just the odd word or line, I'm talking to myself & 'thinking out loud' most of the time I'm alone. For example, I might have a thought about a certain video I like, and I'll say "One second and I'll show you it" when there's nobody there, almost as if I'm pretending to talk to someone. Sounds very odd, I know. Would this be related with ASD?

Thanks!

Jake

Parents
  • haha yes a lot of the time when I'm by myself I say things aloud like "No [my name], don't be an idiot" or "right, you can do this" or "come on, I know you're tired but let's do one more question" to motivate myself, or I think aloud when I'm working. Maybe this is why I don't get lonely, I just keep myself company...

Also stuff inspired from counselling like "look, it's only anxiety that's telling you that" and "if that thing you're worried about did happen, what's the worst that could happen?".

I think it is an effective emotional regulation strategy. I reckon I give myself sensible logical advice and it has more authority if I say it aloud so it works better than saying it inside my head. 

• haha yes a lot of the time when I'm by myself I say things aloud like "No [my name], don't be an idiot" or "right, you can do this" or "come on, I know you're tired but let's do one more question" to motivate myself, or I think aloud when I'm working. Maybe this is why I don't get lonely, I just keep myself company...

Also stuff inspired from counselling like "look, it's only anxiety that's telling you that" and "if that thing you're worried about did happen, what's the worst that could happen?".

I think it is an effective emotional regulation strategy. I reckon I give myself sensible logical advice and it has more authority if I say it aloud so it works better than saying it inside my head. 

Children
No Data