Autism and talking to yourself

Hi,

I'm almost certain I have ASD for many reasons (haven't been tested yet), and when I'm on my own I constantly talk to myself, it's not just the odd word or line, I'm talking to myself & 'thinking out loud' most of the time I'm alone. For example, I might have a thought about a certain video I like, and I'll say "One second and I'll show you it" when there's nobody there, almost as if I'm pretending to talk to someone. Sounds very odd, I know. Would this be related with ASD?

Thanks!

Jake

Parents
  • I talk out loud to myself constantly. Almost as if there's somebody else in the room that I'm explaining something to, or sharing a personal narrative with. I only do it when I'm entirely alone- which for me is the majority of my day. (I live and work alone.) I also have a distinct tendency to analyze and problem-solve by talking through something out loud. (Whether alone or in discussion with another person.) I think it's because my sensory processing is so intense and expansive, that translating such a massive amount of information into the restrictive confines of language helps me to mentally "pare down" and organize so much stimuli into a cohesive conclusion. It's like thinking via verbalization. I also sometimes act out imagined scenarios when I'm alone, like joking around with my friends at a party, for example. I only recently have begun to understand this as a rehearsal process for future social interactions, to lessen the exhaustion from extended masking sessions by already having my lines down pat. Which thus also helps me to have a more genuine, enjoyable time at said party. I hope some of this helps- I've said all of it out loud during the writing process, and it sounded pretty solid to ME, haha!

• I talk out loud to myself constantly. Almost as if there's somebody else in the room that I'm explaining something to, or sharing a personal narrative with. I only do it when I'm entirely alone- which for me is the majority of my day. (I live and work alone.) I also have a distinct tendency to analyze and problem-solve by talking through something out loud. (Whether alone or in discussion with another person.) I think it's because my sensory processing is so intense and expansive, that translating such a massive amount of information into the restrictive confines of language helps me to mentally "pare down" and organize so much stimuli into a cohesive conclusion. It's like thinking via verbalization. I also sometimes act out imagined scenarios when I'm alone, like joking around with my friends at a party, for example. I only recently have begun to understand this as a rehearsal process for future social interactions, to lessen the exhaustion from extended masking sessions by already having my lines down pat. Which thus also helps me to have a more genuine, enjoyable time at said party. I hope some of this helps- I've said all of it out loud during the writing process, and it sounded pretty solid to ME, haha!

Children