Autistic boyfriend can’t keep a job - any advise would help

Hi All,

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 4 years he has Autism and I’m a NT . We have always had ups and downs and he has always been in and out of work he has just started a new job (1 week in) and already wants to quit. I struggle with reacting in a sympathetic way. I worry about the money side of things - I don’t make enough to cover all our outgoings. So this is my first reaction. He doesn’t think I’m being supportive enough but I’m too worried about money.

Im at a loss of how to feel. I want him to be happy and have a job he loves but I also need him to make enough money to support himself. we talk about having a family one day and I just don’t see how that is possibly. 

I’m not really sure what I’m asking or who will see this. Any advise would be helpful. 

thanks x

Parents
  • i always had the urge to quit... i worked through that by forcing myself through martial arts, and good things came from forcing myself to not quit such as getting fitter being a badass and getting a super toned body and being able to handle life better... i still have urge to quit, but i can fight through it more especially as martial arts was essentially really hard work. my job i have now i wanted to quit many times, especially through the 16 hour shifts through december and the abuse our bosses gave us, but i stuck at it and didnt quit, and really good things came from it, id have regretted quitting... quitting only gives you regret... your boyfriend needs to learn that the urge to quit is temporary, if he toughs it out through that urge to quit it turns better and things get good. everytime i feel the need to quit i always remember it, and always know that when you feel a need to quit that good things always follow if you dont quit... every time i feel that need to quit, if i dont quit, it really pays off, it becomes the best decision of my life to ignore that quit feeling and you see itt, and the more times you do that, the more times you beat that urge to quit, the more times you get a good thing after and the more time you realise that urge to quit is actually a signal that your going in the right direction and good things are ahead.

• It is maybe not the urge to quit, but the fact that his autism means he cant cope at all with those jobs.

• aye and then hed probably be looking for a admin or retail job to avoid the percieved incompatibility of a warehousing job perhaps... but thats a trap as office jobs become more boring and obnoxious than a warehousing job and people are harder to understand or get along with in a office. while in a warehouse you dont need to understand anyone, just grunt, most people dont speak english anyway, and the loud noises you may get lucky to be in a warehouse that doesnt have constant loud noise but yeah any with constant metal grinding noise id avoid, worked in one like that before and quit in 2 days as it was doing my head in.

• aye and then hed probably be looking for a admin or retail job to avoid the percieved incompatibility of a warehousing job perhaps... but thats a trap as office jobs become more boring and obnoxious than a warehousing job and people are harder to understand or get along with in a office. while in a warehouse you dont need to understand anyone, just grunt, most people dont speak english anyway, and the loud noises you may get lucky to be in a warehouse that doesnt have constant loud noise but yeah any with constant metal grinding noise id avoid, worked in one like that before and quit in 2 days as it was doing my head in.

Children
No Data