First post - whether to 'come out' at work

Hello all

very glad to have found this forum which appears to be one of the more active ones. 

My formal diagnosis has just come through after a multi year wait for the assessment. What a time to find our you're Autistic!

Can people help me work out a list of pros and cons for telling my employer that I am autistic? It is a public sector org which is all about diversity and inclusion these days. I am in senior management. In the past I have witnessed lots of autism discrimination. I can't help fearing:

1. judgement of coworkers who think it's playing some kind of special treatment card

2. having to take ignorant comments and not get into loads of conflicts

3. having my capability as a manager and team leader called in to question if I ask for new kinds of support 

Many thanks

Parents
  • Hi there I agree with the comments below. I also work in the public sector. I 'came out' to a couple of trusted colleagues, as sometimes it's hard to mask unusual responses to situations. The biggest hurdle is others lack of understanding and laziness about finding out, it's easier to revert to prejudice. I suffered from this in the workplace when a colleague found out and used it against me. In hindsight I wouldn't have told anyone except my manager, and only if I really needed to. Congratulations on your diagnosis and getting to know the real you.

• Thanks so much everyone for all this food for thought. 

has anyone ever, through the process of revelation, championed for equality for others in the workplace? If I’m honest a big part of me is drawn to come out if only to openly combat the regular and systematic discrimination which happens when people think they’re talking about autism out of earshot of someone who would care. 

• Thanks so much everyone for all this food for thought. 

has anyone ever, through the process of revelation, championed for equality for others in the workplace? If I’m honest a big part of me is drawn to come out if only to openly combat the regular and systematic discrimination which happens when people think they’re talking about autism out of earshot of someone who would care. 

Children
  • Hi .. one of the external symptoms of AS for me was a six month absence from work because of depression. When I got back I felt I was able to spot the early signs of deepening stress and approaching illness in others .. and so talk about it to the individuals involved and also on occasion to senior management. The response from the individuals was that they were fine, thankyou, and from management that getting the job done was more important than the people (ie their health). Within half a year of being back at work there was a round of redundancies. Surprise, surprise, despite an exemplary work performance record .. my name was on the list :-/