First post - whether to 'come out' at work

Hello all

very glad to have found this forum which appears to be one of the more active ones. 

My formal diagnosis has just come through after a multi year wait for the assessment. What a time to find our you're Autistic!

Can people help me work out a list of pros and cons for telling my employer that I am autistic? It is a public sector org which is all about diversity and inclusion these days. I am in senior management. In the past I have witnessed lots of autism discrimination. I can't help fearing:

1. judgement of coworkers who think it's playing some kind of special treatment card

2. having to take ignorant comments and not get into loads of conflicts

3. having my capability as a manager and team leader called in to question if I ask for new kinds of support 

Many thanks

Parents
  • Big congrats on your diagnosis! I was diagnosed just before Christmas, I found it a relief as it answered so many questions.

You want to take your time and let yourself adjust to life after the diagnosis. It's a lot of change for anyone to take in so take your time. You need to do what's right for you. I work at a nursery, hopefully be back to work soon, and I told the parents I had Aspergers and so many argued I shouldn't be looking after children. It was horrible! Luckily not all the parents were like that and my boss and co workers were so understanding and still are.

I hope no matter what happens you'll find supportive place to work.

• Big congrats on your diagnosis! I was diagnosed just before Christmas, I found it a relief as it answered so many questions.

You want to take your time and let yourself adjust to life after the diagnosis. It's a lot of change for anyone to take in so take your time. You need to do what's right for you. I work at a nursery, hopefully be back to work soon, and I told the parents I had Aspergers and so many argued I shouldn't be looking after children. It was horrible! Luckily not all the parents were like that and my boss and co workers were so understanding and still are.

I hope no matter what happens you'll find supportive place to work.

Children
No Data