First post - whether to 'come out' at work

Hello all

very glad to have found this forum which appears to be one of the more active ones. 

My formal diagnosis has just come through after a multi year wait for the assessment. What a time to find our you're Autistic!

Can people help me work out a list of pros and cons for telling my employer that I am autistic? It is a public sector org which is all about diversity and inclusion these days. I am in senior management. In the past I have witnessed lots of autism discrimination. I can't help fearing:

1. judgement of coworkers who think it's playing some kind of special treatment card

2. having to take ignorant comments and not get into loads of conflicts

3. having my capability as a manager and team leader called in to question if I ask for new kinds of support 

Many thanks

Parents
  • Congratulations on your diagnosis!

Please let it sink in for yourself and get to know exactly what it means to you.     Then think very, very carefully about what you would like for adjustments to your workplace or you'll be a bit premature in telling them.    If you're not clear with them about adjustments on the day your declare, it will just be forgotten so you'll never get the benefit of it..

You pretty much nailed it for problems - and additionally, it's career suicide - you'll never be promoted again and odds are, you'll be carefully  'managed out of the equation' (in HR speak).

These 'disability friendly' banners usually mean they will put up with a couple of tame spazzies in the most menial jobs so they can be applauded for their commitment to diversity - lots of awards, lots of praise - lots of feel-good factor.    Tough luck for those employees.

If you're in management and able to hide in plain sight,I'd be tempted to keep quiet.   Public sector is better than private for a supportive environment - but it's a risk only on your part.

I'd only disclose if you need it as a defence.      It won't stop the attack dogs - they'll get you in the end - but it gives you time to gather evidence and maybe negotiate a good payoff before you're booted.

Good luck - and have a good think about your next move.   Smiley

Smiley   I'm not too bitter and twisted.

• Congratulations on your diagnosis!

Please let it sink in for yourself and get to know exactly what it means to you.     Then think very, very carefully about what you would like for adjustments to your workplace or you'll be a bit premature in telling them.    If you're not clear with them about adjustments on the day your declare, it will just be forgotten so you'll never get the benefit of it..

You pretty much nailed it for problems - and additionally, it's career suicide - you'll never be promoted again and odds are, you'll be carefully  'managed out of the equation' (in HR speak).

These 'disability friendly' banners usually mean they will put up with a couple of tame spazzies in the most menial jobs so they can be applauded for their commitment to diversity - lots of awards, lots of praise - lots of feel-good factor.    Tough luck for those employees.

If you're in management and able to hide in plain sight,I'd be tempted to keep quiet.   Public sector is better than private for a supportive environment - but it's a risk only on your part.

I'd only disclose if you need it as a defence.      It won't stop the attack dogs - they'll get you in the end - but it gives you time to gather evidence and maybe negotiate a good payoff before you're booted.

Good luck - and have a good think about your next move.   Smiley

Smiley   I'm not too bitter and twisted.

Children
No Data