First assessment - telling a story with 5 objects

Hi,

I’ve recently had my first autism assessment (online) and towards the end of it I was asked to tell a story with 5 objects I’d chosen. I chose the first 5 things that happened to be on the sofa next to me. I was asked to tell a story with them & I just couldn’t. I told the assessor this & she said it was ok. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Parents
  • Hi Bobontour, I had a similar experience with the assessment task of narrating a picture book story. I described each picture in quite a literal way, saying what I saw and having trouble weaving the pictures together into a story on the spot, and didn't understand at the end that the characters were 'going home'.

• Hi Rach! I also had the narrating of a picture book. It was some frogs on what I initially thought were levitating lily pads, they were in fact (?) flying (?). As you I described each picture in quite a literal way, each page was ‘and the frogs are flying’. I feel frustrated and a failure!

• I think I had the same book! I understand if you feel down about it. I would say please do try to be gentle and compassionate with yourself - I don't mean to label your experience but for me I think it is a matter of time lengths. For instance, I think I may have understood more given the chance to read it through several times at my own pace and then plan a story in writing, but linking speech to meanings on the spot was too fast. Do you find something similar with tasks like that?

• Hello again Rach...I’ve been meaning to reply but didn’t find this thread until this morning when I was looking at my profile. I’ve bought some earplugs which have been great in the main & will help a great deal. I was due to go and try some actual noise cancelling headphones but the Coronavirus put a stop to that. At least I have some noise protection now. I went out without them the other day & due to there being less traffic and people I found myself noticing how noisy birds are! Bird sensory overload!

• Wow, what an idea - tinted contact lenses. That would attract far less attention than going into Sainsbury’s at 9pm on a rainy night wearing sunglasses! I’ll let you know how it all goes with the earphones/plugs.

• Haha! It should be ok if someone shouts from afar, even though they block out background quite well they still let in things like that I think. I wear the earplugs all day at work and if I wear headphones too, I can usually hear when a colleague tries to get my attention. My dream is to get tinted contact lenses that act as sunglasses but I'm not sure if they can be bought yet.

• Haha! It should be ok if someone shouts from afar, even though they block out background quite well they still let in things like that I think. I wear the earplugs all day at work and if I wear headphones too, I can usually hear when a colleague tries to get my attention. My dream is to get tinted contact lenses that act as sunglasses but I'm not sure if they can be bought yet.

Children
  • Hello again Rach...I’ve been meaning to reply but didn’t find this thread until this morning when I was looking at my profile. I’ve bought some earplugs which have been great in the main & will help a great deal. I was due to go and try some actual noise cancelling headphones but the Coronavirus put a stop to that. At least I have some noise protection now. I went out without them the other day & due to there being less traffic and people I found myself noticing how noisy birds are! Bird sensory overload!

• Wow, what an idea - tinted contact lenses. That would attract far less attention than going into Sainsbury’s at 9pm on a rainy night wearing sunglasses! I’ll let you know how it all goes with the earphones/plugs.