First assessment - telling a story with 5 objects

Hi,

I’ve recently had my first autism assessment (online) and towards the end of it I was asked to tell a story with 5 objects I’d chosen. I chose the first 5 things that happened to be on the sofa next to me. I was asked to tell a story with them & I just couldn’t. I told the assessor this & she said it was ok. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Parents
  • Hi Bobontour, I had a similar experience with the assessment task of narrating a picture book story. I described each picture in quite a literal way, saying what I saw and having trouble weaving the pictures together into a story on the spot, and didn't understand at the end that the characters were 'going home'.

• Hi Rach! I also had the narrating of a picture book. It was some frogs on what I initially thought were levitating lily pads, they were in fact (?) flying (?). As you I described each picture in quite a literal way, each page was ‘and the frogs are flying’. I feel frustrated and a failure!

• Hi Rach! I also had the narrating of a picture book. It was some frogs on what I initially thought were levitating lily pads, they were in fact (?) flying (?). As you I described each picture in quite a literal way, each page was ‘and the frogs are flying’. I feel frustrated and a failure!

Children
  • Hello again Rach...I’ve been meaning to reply but didn’t find this thread until this morning when I was looking at my profile. I’ve bought some earplugs which have been great in the main & will help a great deal. I was due to go and try some actual noise cancelling headphones but the Coronavirus put a stop to that. At least I have some noise protection now. I went out without them the other day & due to there being less traffic and people I found myself noticing how noisy birds are! Bird sensory overload!

• Wow, what an idea - tinted contact lenses. That would attract far less attention than going into Sainsbury’s at 9pm on a rainy night wearing sunglasses! I’ll let you know how it all goes with the earphones/plugs.

• Haha! It should be ok if someone shouts from afar, even though they block out background quite well they still let in things like that I think. I wear the earplugs all day at work and if I wear headphones too, I can usually hear when a colleague tries to get my attention. My dream is to get tinted contact lenses that act as sunglasses but I'm not sure if they can be bought yet.

• Great advice, I’ll have a look at CEX & at the ear plugs. Light is my joint biggest problem & I do wear sunglasses & a hat whenever I’m out. My bedroom has always been sensory free & is my sanctuary. Earphones or plugs would be welcome on Sundays, as there seems to be a constant drone of lawnmowers all day. One last question about the earphones & plugs...do they still allow you to hear if someone is shouting up the stairs to you. I don’t think my dad would cope if I didn’t respond!

• The ones I have block out sustained background noise like air conditioning and wind, which does help to take some of the strain off. Mine are EvoDX and I got them very cheaply from Computer Exchange online, I'm not sure how they compare to other brands but the prices are good on there and they might have some similar pairs. Another thing that has helped are Docs Pro Ear Plugs which are transparent and discreet, I wear them every day. What are you like with light? Wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap out really helps me too

• Thanks, I will. In the end, diagnosis or not I can’t change my sensory overload. I’ve been looking at noise cancelling headphones, do they block out everything? It’s always good to buy by recommendation which brand/model of headphones do you have?

• No problem at all. I was diagnosed at 30 and am now 32, and for me the diagnosis was life changing. I'm still working through some of the particulars but the biggest change was that I gave myself permission to work 'with' myself instead of 'fighting' something internally and trying to act in the ways I thought I should, and since I am very much happier, have more energy, feel more 'aligned' internally, and am getting to know the real me. Do let me know if you'd like to discuss anything, there are some things which I've done since diagnosis e.g. buying noise cancelling headphones which have improved my life 1,000% which I'd be happy to share. Best of luck for Thursday!

• Yes I do. I generally need a lot of time to process things. Like you had I been able to look through it in my own time I probably would have formulated a story. I’ve my final assessment on Thursday which they said would last for 3 hours...by my processing time I may still be there well into 2021. It’s good to know that you’re not alone so thank you for your reply. Have you now been through the whole assessment process? If yes was it worth it?

• I think I had the same book! I understand if you feel down about it. I would say please do try to be gentle and compassionate with yourself - I don't mean to label your experience but for me I think it is a matter of time lengths. For instance, I think I may have understood more given the chance to read it through several times at my own pace and then plan a story in writing, but linking speech to meanings on the spot was too fast. Do you find something similar with tasks like that?