I need a career

I managed to get through school, and university. My social skills are okay, and when I've been in workplaces for work experience etc, I have done pretty well. But can I get through the interviews process? i think there is an inbuilt discrimination against people like me at the interview stage since I make bad eye contact, and find them hellish. I'm now in my forties, and none of the jobs I have ever done have ever had reasonable pay or required an interview. My CV is woeful even though my intelligence level is clearly above average. (Not genius level, granted!) I do have some issues, but can function at a high level, yet no one wants me. 

What do I do? Even when I've done careers courses, I struggle, and get panic attacks. Yet, I know I can do certain types of work because I have already. Working is not too bad for me. Looking for work has made me feel suicidal. I am lucky I have some level of other support, but this is not enough to pay a lot of my bills and my gas has been cut off.

The really annoying thing is that I got offered a dream job at a bookshop, and turned it down because I was going out of the country for a few months. I have been kicking myself ever since. 

Half the time some stranger speaks to me, they ask me what I do for a living. I'm not into the whole peeing contest aspect of that, but I would like to be able answer something other than telling them undiagnosed ASD has stopped me from ever getting a proper job. 

Parents
  • I don't have any advice other than to say this sounds a very familiar story, and as only 16% of autistic folk are in full time employment you are by no means alone. If 16% of any other minority were faced by this blatant and un tackled prejudice there would be uproar and probably terrorism...it is economic apartheid no less.

• I agree with you, it's an utter disgrace. I get people telling me I'm lazy or to "get a job". In actual fact, what I'm finding is that interviewers aren't interested in me, because clearly I give off the wrong signals. Now I'm a wee bit older, I also have the problem of my work history. It is actually extremely stressful for me to go through the process of finding work. Much more so than working itself.

• I agree with you, it's an utter disgrace. I get people telling me I'm lazy or to "get a job". In actual fact, what I'm finding is that interviewers aren't interested in me, because clearly I give off the wrong signals. Now I'm a wee bit older, I also have the problem of my work history. It is actually extremely stressful for me to go through the process of finding work. Much more so than working itself.

Children
No Data