I need a career

I managed to get through school, and university. My social skills are okay, and when I've been in workplaces for work experience etc, I have done pretty well. But can I get through the interviews process? i think there is an inbuilt discrimination against people like me at the interview stage since I make bad eye contact, and find them hellish. I'm now in my forties, and none of the jobs I have ever done have ever had reasonable pay or required an interview. My CV is woeful even though my intelligence level is clearly above average. (Not genius level, granted!) I do have some issues, but can function at a high level, yet no one wants me. 

What do I do? Even when I've done careers courses, I struggle, and get panic attacks. Yet, I know I can do certain types of work because I have already. Working is not too bad for me. Looking for work has made me feel suicidal. I am lucky I have some level of other support, but this is not enough to pay a lot of my bills and my gas has been cut off.

The really annoying thing is that I got offered a dream job at a bookshop, and turned it down because I was going out of the country for a few months. I have been kicking myself ever since. 

Half the time some stranger speaks to me, they ask me what I do for a living. I'm not into the whole peeing contest aspect of that, but I would like to be able answer something other than telling them undiagnosed ASD has stopped me from ever getting a proper job. 

• I am awaiting diagnosis and am 50. I guess I grew up in a situation that I had no coice but to go to college and then work. I was out of work in my early 20 for 18 months and then got a lucky break. I work in IT  which massivley halps the obsessive and logical part of my brain. I do ok at interviews if the interviewer is a technical person who knows his thing, rather than a manager who has never done the job. 

My CV is not wholely thruthful, probably like many peoples. My 18 month gap is not there, but neither is the two companies either side of that gap as both went bankrupt, and it was 30 years ago.

Are there any places local to you that only employ people with disabilities? My local library has a cafe that does just that. They are paid the minimum wage and people know that the staff have issues but genrally the local people are supportive. It is all about getting that lucky break, good luck.

• I was in the same position in early forties, when I was long term unemployed.  My original career had come to an end and I had newly qualified in IT but due to my lack of relevant experience in the field, not being able to translate that into paid employment.  The breakthrough ocurred when I saw an organisation was taking on about twenty five people for entry level jobs. I applied and got a six month contract that eventually ran on to fourteen months.  Using the work experience from that job, I managed to get another job which lasted for almost six years.

The lesson that I learned were that some people interview very well (say all the right things, are able to build up an instant rapport with the interviewers etc) and if there is just one job, they will likely get it, but if an employer is taking on many people then people who know their stuff but don't interview so well have a chance.  I have also noticed that some people who interview very well and get a job, might talk themselves into a better paid job elsewhere after a relatively short period of time, that could be to the advantage of the other new starts.

• have u tried the Civil Service - they are more bendy in their management style of neurodiverse staff ---- let them know up front of ur diagnosis

• excuse my noseyiness, which charity and what do u do for them ? 

• I identify a lot with what you say. I too lingered in limbo for years, not being able to get the job I would really enjoy and be good at and not being able to cope with casual jobs where I was a target of bullying. 

I found solace in pursuing something meaningful for me that uses my skills in the charity sector. I work for free, but I am doing my dream job. 

Easier said than done, but did you try to convert your hobby or passion, like books or something else into a career. Find a niche where you use your strengths and interests and not use  your weaknesses so much?.

• I know. If they're asking, "can I lift a box?" or be able to read, then no, I don't have a problem in that area. I do have some issues with social interaction.

• I agree with you, it's an utter disgrace. I get people telling me I'm lazy or to "get a job". In actual fact, what I'm finding is that interviewers aren't interested in me, because clearly I give off the wrong signals. Now I'm a wee bit older, I also have the problem of my work history. It is actually extremely stressful for me to go through the process of finding work. Much more so than working itself.

• Some employers have a "Gaurtnteed Interview scheme".  The Government has a "Disability Confident scheme", which has signed up a number of employers:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/856107/disability-confident-list-of-employers.csv/preview

I don't know if this could be of some use to you.

• I feel that way too - I never know whether to tick 'Yes' or 'No' when I'm answering the 'Do you consider yourself to have a disability?' question on forms. 

• I don't have any advice other than to say this sounds a very familiar story, and as only 16% of autistic folk are in full time employment you are by no means alone. If 16% of any other minority were faced by this blatant and un tackled prejudice there would be uproar and probably terrorism...it is economic apartheid no less.

• I see myself as both disabled and not disabled... It's kind of a paradox. I have mentioned my mild facial blindness on another thread, and there are times when I get overloaded... These are enough to make me think I have a disability. But there is other stuff I can do as well as most other people, or better in some cases.

• It's okay - it sounds like you had a really frustrating experience with the charity shop. They didn't sound very appreciative either, especially considering you were giving up your time for free. 

It is really tough. Thankfully, not all employers rely on interviews now - some do a blend of interviews and activities (which could give you a chance to demonstrate your practical skills), and some are happy to have an 'informal' conversation over coffee rather than asking structured questions.

Have you ever tried contacting Scope? I haven't used them myself, but I've seen them advertised a lot. They provide employment support services for disabled people (I don't know whether you class yourself as disabled or not, so apologies if you don't, but autism would meet the legal definition of a disability, so you should qualify for their services). Here's a link to their website: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/

• Sorry, my previous reply was a bit negative. I know I can do a lot of stuff that is required in many jobs, but I don't know how to get past the interview stage, or I find it very hard to speak highly of myself in an interview. My CV is blank for years on end, and I don't know how to solve this. It's a Catch 22.

• I have done voluntary work in the past, but it is a mixed bag and it doesn't pay. When I was at a charity shop they shoved me on the till, which was sometimes okay, sometimes not. 

The two things that really put me off it were:

* I got asked point blank by one employer whether I was being paid by them, and when I said "no", they made it clear they weren't interested. This wasn't even for a fancy job, but clearly voluntary work experience was as good as none to them.

* I did charity work because I wanted to give something back. Instead I felt like I was doing unpaid work for a business and not helping improve society. 

I worked in that charity shop for several years. I don't feel I got much out of it in the end up... Certainly nothing for my career, even though I was definitely doing a form of work.

• I'm really sorry to hear you've had a tough time. The interview process can be really tough and isn't an inclusive process in a lot of cases.

If you've had some success with the bookshop, you could explore whether any other bookshops in the area are hiring.

Whilst your job hunting, could you do some voluntary work - even if it's just a few hours a week - to bulk up your CV and get you a strong character reference for future job applications? 

It's also worth considering whether you have any skills, hobbies or interests that'd enable you to freelance/be self-employed. If you'd like to, feel free to note some down here and we can have a think about them :)

• Sadly the bookshop shut down years ago and is now a café. I wish I had taken that job, as it would have been on my CV. Instead, I have ended up doing jobs for a few weeks delivering phone directories etc, and Christmas at the sorting office.

I could really just do with an ordinary job for my own self-respect, nothing fancy (nor horrible), but just so I feel less useless.

My problem is I just can't get past the gate keepers. I know I am more capable than some of the people out there, but I have never passed a single job interview.

• Hi, could you pop into the bookshop again. Or write them a letter saying that you are still interested? Also dont let strangers have a negative affect on you. They are no better then you. Most people are struggling with somw aspect of their life, they just hide it well!  My daughter is 17. We went to an imformal meeting together about a little job delivering leaflets. She has little speech. She had to go back the next day. She made herself a packed lunch and was eager to go. She had a panic attack as she got to the door and couldnt go in. I went home in my break from work and she was in tears. i think the panic attacks have got worse as she came out of school/ college and spends lots of time on her own. Good luck with your job search