Filling out forms - an Aspie's nightmare?

As I write this I am feeling very overwhelmed by my inability to fill out forms. It's something I usually do once or twice a month at work and nothing stresses me out more. 

Is this something that other people struggle with too? I'm curious if this is something that a lot of Autistic people struggle with. If so, I'll feel more comfortable asking for support - at least I'll have a reasonable explanation as to why I suck at doing it so much, lol 

I just don't want people at work to think I'm an idiot for not being able to do something that to them, is probably a piece of cake. 

Parents
  • For me, it all depends on the form and how it is laid out. OriginalPrankster posted a useful diagram in this thread about autism-friendly design, which may give you some context. I think my comment on that thread also holds here, namely that when forms are constructed in a certain way, I am unable to process what is required and how that relates to what I know, and I'm left feeling stressed and stupid.

I don't think it's unreasonable for you to ask for additional support on this as I'm certain you're not alone.

• It's hard to explain why I find it hard, but I definitely do struggle. I've been doing them for over a year now and STILL find it difficult. I just want someone to sit with me and help me through it. Someone "tried" to help but it wasn't the sort of help I needed. I ended up having a small anxiety attack as a result. :/ 

• I'm so sorry the form-filling triggers you like that. Are you able to upload a copy of the form to this thread (or a photo of it), as I'd be happy to try to help you understand. I'm a business analyst by trade so I'm pretty good at deconstructing requirements and building processes, all of which come with lots of documentation. I'm also told I'm a very good teacher as I like to figure out a) what's required, b) what the person can already do, and c) how to fill the gap between (a) and (b). I'm happy to give it a go if you're happy to share? It's so frustrating when the "help" isn't helpful, but a lot of people aren't natural teachers (I find maths teachers and PE teachers are the worst because they can just *do* it and can't understand why others can't, let alone explain how to do whatever it is they're supposed to be teaching, but a lot of people are the same with work tasks too).

• I'm good, thank you. The whole thing is stressing me out but not nearly as intense as it once was. Yeah, they were good. Although I hate getting like that at work. It keeps happening and I find the whole thing embarrassing. But they have responded well which is good. :) 

• I'm good, thank you. The whole thing is stressing me out but not nearly as intense as it once was. Yeah, they were good. Although I hate getting like that at work. It keeps happening and I find the whole thing embarrassing. But they have responded well which is good. :) 

Children
No Data