*Autistic Shutdowns collection* - Do you experience these ?

Hi

I have been trying to work out if I am experiencing Shutdowns, I am still not sure 

I have been trying to find information online but its pretty unspecific. Very few videos about it either.

If you experience shutdowns, please

1. list the symptoms
  2. describe the process you experience
  3. describe how you feel afterwards please
  4. what triggers it / is there always a trigger ?

I want to determine if I am indeed experiencing shutdowns.  

Get your experiences added to this collection  Thumbsup.

Thanks for any responses,advice,ideas

Parents
  • For me its a huge burning sensation in my chest which propagates to every part of my body ,

If i don't catch it in time my vision gets cloudy and start to feel as though my head is burning up then blackout .

Afterwards i feel a bit floaty and dazed , 

If i put my headphones on in time and pick up my guitar it just seems to melt away ,

I have never managed to use meditation techniques to stop it yet .

Other peoples actions is a trigger, but also if i hit my head or bump into something can also be a trigger.

• the bit about the headphones and guitar is so interesting. i suggest u mediate in the same position. I know that sounds daft but there just being in that position may be putting your mind into a different state. Its worth exploring. 

the bump on head trigger, again, do that while meditating and focus on what part of your body is tensing and focus on it to relax.

you have found a semi solution and one trigger which is pretty unusual

• Thanks , I worked very hard with my therapist and he suggested that headphones and playing my guitar is like you say the way i can meditate ,

but i cannot carry my guitar around everywhere so i created a track which i recorded and the melody is just dreamy , 

with headphones on & listening to it i can go to  places with a lower level of anxiety .

I do try the breathing exercises but tinnitus is a big problem for me and all i can here is EEEEEEEEEEEE when my brain is calm which again raises anxiety so its back on again with the headphones 

• Thanks , I worked very hard with my therapist and he suggested that headphones and playing my guitar is like you say the way i can meditate ,

but i cannot carry my guitar around everywhere so i created a track which i recorded and the melody is just dreamy , 

with headphones on & listening to it i can go to  places with a lower level of anxiety .

I do try the breathing exercises but tinnitus is a big problem for me and all i can here is EEEEEEEEEEEE when my brain is calm which again raises anxiety so its back on again with the headphones 

Children
  • yes i have 2 types of tinnitus they are a pain always sticking their noise where it isnt wanted. I have discovered that i have alot of tension in my jaw which effects my tinnitus. So I relax my jaw and let my mouth stay open more. ie I seem to clench my teeth alot unconsciously. So kept an eye on your jaw when tinnitus is loud. I can sometimes lower the volume a bit.