*Autistic Shutdowns collection* - Do you experience these ?

Hi

I have been trying to work out if I am experiencing Shutdowns, I am still not sure 

I have been trying to find information online but its pretty unspecific. Very few videos about it either.

If you experience shutdowns, please

1. list the symptoms
  2. describe the process you experience
  3. describe how you feel afterwards please
  4. what triggers it / is there always a trigger ?

I want to determine if I am indeed experiencing shutdowns.  

Get your experiences added to this collection  Thumbsup.

Thanks for any responses,advice,ideas

Parents
  • 1. Don't talk except for simple yes/no answers.  Fixate on a point in space in front of me.  Stim with a clicky thing.  Sometimes if it goes on longer I'll tap my foot/shake knee.  Cold sinking feeling in stomach or raging pulse.

2. The process is usually fixate, stop talking, start stimming.

3. It can take a while for symptoms to leave, depending on what caused it, how long I was under a shutdown, etc.  Usually the symptoms go in reverse, so I may start talking more normally last.

4.  Any kind of uncontrollable stress - for example: if I've messed up something and am being told off, or (when I worked in a design agency) was in a meeting where I had to delay a launch of a site, or I have to express something I'm not comfortable with - like having to talk to my wife about my emotional state, etc.  Sometimes it's internal, for example when I think about how isolated I am - maybe I inadvertently looked at playing a multiplayer game (which I can't deal with), or accidentally watched a Youtube video featuring online gaming as part of the video.  Very occasionally I can't find a trigger and just end up going through the motions of a shutdown.

• thanks for this contribution to the collection. U are relatively new so welcome ti the forum. You suffer from a classic type of shutdown triggered by stressful events again very classical. I recommend  getting  a diagnosis..

• thanks for this contribution to the collection. U are relatively new so welcome ti the forum. You suffer from a classic type of shutdown triggered by stressful events again very classical. I recommend  getting  a diagnosis..

Children
  • thats a bit of luck on your part, i mean your wifes sisters valuable experience. Please use her comments in any diagnosis process.  Its worth waiting for a diagnosis because finally there is an answer.  Please make use of this forum as a way to make friends online. Start your own discussion on anything from food , sport your hobbies,  questions u want answered

• Thanks for replying.

I'm in the queue for a diagnosis.  My GP seems to agree that I need a diagnosis because I show so many signs.  I haven't responded very well to medication for depression (on my fifth type now), and the counselling offered by the doctors practice has not managed to make any change.  Finally, my wife's sister used to foster autistic children and sees a lot of traits in me.  She's been very helpful to us both in that regard with some advice on how to deal with certain things.