Don’t have any friends

Just wondering if anyone else doesn’t have any friends at all or is that just me?

Parents
  • No, it's not just you. After spending my whole life masking, the very few "friends" I have are all in inverted commas because I can't be myself around them and I have little interest in the things they do and talk about, so it feels fake.

I'm really lucky to have found my 'special someone' and we are getting married next year. He's my best friend and totally 'gets' me; I can just be myself around him and he loves me for it. I'm also quite close to my dad, although he's 70 now and I worry one day soon he'll be gone.

Growing up, my cat was my best friend, and when he died it completely crushed me.

I also have a small cuddly toy named Monkey (he's a monkey), so at least I know he'll never leave me.

I feel a lot closer to the people I chat to on this forum than most of the people I come across in real life, and I find it's a close enough approximation to friendship for me, so, for now at least, I've stopped looking to make new friends out in the real world.

• 'Inverted commas' is spot on. This is a looong thread so it is not uncommon. It is possible to have friends. I think I had a couple, they really acted like real friends when I was in difficult situation needed them, so there is hope. Lasting friends is another thing altogether.

• 'Inverted commas' is spot on. This is a looong thread so it is not uncommon. It is possible to have friends. I think I had a couple, they really acted like real friends when I was in difficult situation needed them, so there is hope. Lasting friends is another thing altogether.

Children
No Data