Asperger + Asperger relationships = successful?

Hello

I've been single a good while as discussed on a previous thread, I now know that I'd prefer a LAT (living apart together) relationship which affords us each our own space/time as well as spending time together.  I've just started dating a man who also has Asperger's (total coincidence, not a connection to how we met in the first place!) - we're only a couple of dates in...  

Wondering what other people's experience is of relationships where both partners are on the spectrum - I searched for 'relationships' but didn't find a previous thread, if I've missed it please tag it in! Although my enquiry is about romantic/intimate relationships I guess there may be parallels with long-term mixed-sex friendships too?

I know each pairing is unique but if there are some generic Pros / Cons I'm interested to know your thoughts

many thanks

Daisy

Parents
  • Hi.

My OH isn't diagnosed but he has a lot of autistic traits. I don't know if he would be fulfil the criteria but I imagine he would be borderline.

We've been together for 17.5 years and he's one of the very few people who I feel totally comfortable around. When we got together it was so lovely to finally be able to be myself.

There are challenges of course. We're both very rigid in routines and planning and when they diverge it can cause arguments. But the pros have always outweighed the cons. We have separate bedrooms mostly as my sensory issues are crazy right now and we have always had plenty of time apart, even if in the same room playing computer games!

I hope this relationship works for you. 

• thank you for sharing, I'm delighted for you both x

Reply Children
No Data