Anyone else feel unmotivated?

Like many other days I feel today I could have done so much more. The only thing of note I did today was make boiled brown rice and cabbage with toasted pecan nuts, served with freshly chopped parsley.

Otherwise I've done nothing memorable today. Didn't have the drive in me to read a book, watch a film, pick up the guitar and learn more - that's it.

Parents
  • Every single day. 

Things that get me going are:

If guests are coming I will clean the house. Sometimes I purposely arrange a visit to get the house clean.

Telling myself to get off my a**e out loud

Making lists and picking some quick easy ones to start

I've always been in awe of people who "take care of business" and "get things done".

Weirdly, I was pretty good when I used to work, but that was a paid job.

• Weirdly, I was pretty good when I used to work, but that was a paid job.

I find that doing something for the benefit of someone else is always far, far easier than doing something to benefit myself, no matter who they are. I guess that partly it's because all of the decision making is taken out of my hands, so I don't get trapped in my usual procrastination. I don't suppose that my problems with self-esteem help too much, either.

• Weirdly, I was pretty good when I used to work, but that was a paid job.

I find that doing something for the benefit of someone else is always far, far easier than doing something to benefit myself, no matter who they are. I guess that partly it's because all of the decision making is taken out of my hands, so I don't get trapped in my usual procrastination. I don't suppose that my problems with self-esteem help too much, either.

Children
  • Awh trogluddite I quite agree! Doing something for another removes the ability to procrastinate or be unmotivated for me too. I know I can always help someone else, even if I feel I can't help myself. In hindsight, helping others is probably the exact type of help I needed to give myself then too!