My mum does not accept my aspergers diagnosis

She said to me today that Drs and psychologists have spun whatever I have said to them into a condition and then convinced me I have that condition. She believes it’s all a scam and that the doctors are funded by big pharma to give people labels so they would have customers for their drug products.  She said that if I had paid her to diagnose me with dyslexia for example, she’d take the money and give me the label of dyslexic.

She says that my exhaustion following the situation of trying to work in a (probably normally) noisy office was normal. I literally could not think earlier today and couldn’t do my job until I felt a bit better (2hrs later). 

Has anyone else successfully dealt with situations like these?

Parents
  • Parents not accepting your diagnosis is often because that would mean they are faulty too - and admitting they produced something faulty damages their own ego.    It's nothing to do with you - it's the fact that their ego is fragile and they like to measure their success against their peers - and your problems might reflect badly upon them if they acknowledge it.

Ostrich mode works best in these situations - stick their head in the ground and refuse to accept the information.

If you're lucky, they might come around in time - but don't bank on it.

• If I ever do get a formal diagnonis I don't think I can tell my mum, for this exact reason. She works in a residential home for adults with learning disabilities, when describing one of the residents who is autistic she told me "she's a lovely girl, it's such a shame". I believe this is the same reason she didn't get me diagnosed as a young child, despite it being suggested by a health visitor. She didn't want an autistic child, so decided her child isn't autistic. If I told her I am she'd be convinced I'm pretending just to spite her.

• from what you just said,  probably a good idea, wouldn't you agree ?

Reply Children
No Data