If Autism could be cured, would you?

I think it's an interesting question to ask, if a cure for Autism were ever created, would you cure yourself?

It's hard for me to decide on whether or not I would cure myself, because there are positives and negatives of having Autism in my opinion.

Positives of my Autism:

• Idiosyncratic interests have led to me being very successful in certain areas.
  • Less likely to give in to peer-pressure because I really don't care about what others think in those terms.
  • Having a rigid thinking pattern and being well organised makes life easier (IMO).
  • My honesty is appreciated by some people.

Negatives of my Autism:

• My face not reflecting how I really feel, so constantly being told that I have "resting-*****-face".
  • Getting uncontrollably stressed and anxious over things that I know are stupid.
  • Sensitivity to light and sound.
  • Finding it difficult to find and maintain friendships.
  • My honesty is not appreciated by most people.
  • Laughing at things that most people don't find funny and looking like an idiot.

If my Autism disappeared, I wonder if my personality would completely change.. and if that would be for the better? If I had to give an answer right here right now, I would probably say no to a cure simply because I think I would become unrecognisable personality wise. 

Parents
  • I'm happy as I am - I feel (and have measured) that I'm a better human being than most people around me.   I don't pre-judge people, I'm super-skilled at everything I touch and I can solve massive problems that seem to be beyond everyone else.    Horses and dogs are excellent judges of character and they gravitate to me in preference to others - so I must be doing something right.

For the risk of sometimes being used by unpleasant people, I'm ok with it all.     

• Yet there would be some people that would read what you just said and pass you off as just being arrogant. 

• I know it sounds arrogant - but it's my personal opinion based on measuring people - human beings are just horrible to each other.   Downright nasty, grabbing, lying, manipulating and generally selfish.    It's pretty universal.

I much prefer being with other aspies - all of my close friends are undiagnosed aspies - we do stuff, create things, have interesting hobbies and are open and kind.      I don't know any NTs who are the same.   

I know it sounds cynical, but I've done a lot of data gathering over my life and I've built a pretty good database of the reality of human beings.

• try avoiding being around anyone at all and you'll discover a calmness and peace in your life.

• I'm not ashamed, but I'm not proud either. It doesn't make sense to me when people make their entire personality their Autism, or surround themselves only with other aspies, because at that point all you're doing is creating an echo chamber. 

In fact, the people that seclude themselves to pretty much only other aspies are the ones that sound "ashamed" to me, or at the very least, aren't experiencing true freedom.

• At the risk of starting a ruckus, you sound like you are ashamed of who you are and spend your life masking... that's not going to end well.

I hope you can find a way to accept yourself for who you are and experience the freedom and reduction in anxiety that self-acceptance brings

• I guess I'm the opposite of your view -  is that because of your areas of interests?    My Aspie-super-powers lead me to the sciences -  I'm a pan-nerdist - anything technical or sciencey - and all my friends are engineers & scientists and we all have huge capabilities.      I revel in listening to other people's areas of interests and their enthusiasm in sharing data.     I love doing nerdy things with other nerds.   It makes me satisfied with being aspie.

• I've always preferred being around NTs than aspies, I guess it's just because if I surround myself with aspies, I'm just surrounding myself with a reflection of what features of myself I dislike. And having Autism isn't something that I'm proud of, so I've always found it easier to be happy if I stick with NTs and try and fit in.

• Yes - I know I'm lumped in there too (but quite often I feel more alien/android than human).

It doesn't make me immune, but I work to a totally different set of values.    More Bill & Ted than Wolf Of Wall St.

• You're a human being too, and if the reality of human beings is really being:

Downright nasty, grabbing, lying, manipulating and generally selfish.

Then I don't see how having Autism can make you immune from that

Reply Children
  • try avoiding being around anyone at all and you'll discover a calmness and peace in your life.

• I'm not ashamed, but I'm not proud either. It doesn't make sense to me when people make their entire personality their Autism, or surround themselves only with other aspies, because at that point all you're doing is creating an echo chamber. 

In fact, the people that seclude themselves to pretty much only other aspies are the ones that sound "ashamed" to me, or at the very least, aren't experiencing true freedom.

• At the risk of starting a ruckus, you sound like you are ashamed of who you are and spend your life masking... that's not going to end well.

I hope you can find a way to accept yourself for who you are and experience the freedom and reduction in anxiety that self-acceptance brings

• I guess I'm the opposite of your view -  is that because of your areas of interests?    My Aspie-super-powers lead me to the sciences -  I'm a pan-nerdist - anything technical or sciencey - and all my friends are engineers & scientists and we all have huge capabilities.      I revel in listening to other people's areas of interests and their enthusiasm in sharing data.     I love doing nerdy things with other nerds.   It makes me satisfied with being aspie.

• I've always preferred being around NTs than aspies, I guess it's just because if I surround myself with aspies, I'm just surrounding myself with a reflection of what features of myself I dislike. And having Autism isn't something that I'm proud of, so I've always found it easier to be happy if I stick with NTs and try and fit in.

• Yes - I know I'm lumped in there too (but quite often I feel more alien/android than human).

It doesn't make me immune, but I work to a totally different set of values.    More Bill & Ted than Wolf Of Wall St.