How did you 'come out' as autistic to your family following diagnosis?

Hi,

Diagnosed with autism on Monday this week at age 42. I am still trying to process this, I thought I would be relieved but mostly I'm just feeling overwhelmed at the moment. I haven't told anyone about the diagnosis yet, not even my husband. I'm feeling anxious about telling my family and not sure how I will cope with their reactions.

Just wondering how other people diagnosed as adults told their close family about their diagnosis? If it was me, I would want to be given all of the information in written form but not sure if this would be too much to start with. Any thoughts? 

Parents
  • First of all, give yourself time to take it in. I'm sure that your family will be fine with it. After all, they have known you for 42 years. All that has actually happened is that you have been given an explanation into what makes you a unique person. Be proud of the diagnosis, and feel free to express any questions as and when you need answers.

• First of all, give yourself time to take it in. I'm sure that your family will be fine with it. After all, they have known you for 42 years. All that has actually happened is that you have been given an explanation into what makes you a unique person. Be proud of the diagnosis, and feel free to express any questions as and when you need answers.

Children
No Data