Strategies for calming down?

After being wound up by my very loud and rebellious 5 year old daughter 3 hours ago, I'm struggling to calm down. I'd therefore be grateful for any tips to help lower the stress and anger levels. I thought locking myself away quietly for some internet browsing would help, but sadly it didn't.

Thanks, Steve

Parents
  • I had a couple of other good suggestions today.

The first was to twist up a few pages of newspaper and leave them in various places around the house. The idea is to try to pull them apart to relieve anger. My partner will hand me one if I'm in need and don't think of it myself. Not sure it sounds satisfying enough to offer proper relief, but I'll give it a try.

The second suggestion is to get a lava lamp, on the basis that watching them is very calming.

I'll look to gather all these great suggestions into a single list on the forum soon...

• I had a couple of other good suggestions today.

The first was to twist up a few pages of newspaper and leave them in various places around the house. The idea is to try to pull them apart to relieve anger. My partner will hand me one if I'm in need and don't think of it myself. Not sure it sounds satisfying enough to offer proper relief, but I'll give it a try.

The second suggestion is to get a lava lamp, on the basis that watching them is very calming.

I'll look to gather all these great suggestions into a single list on the forum soon...

Children
  • I like this idea, but the touch of paper makes things worse if I'm worked up.

I, with permission, tore apart one of my husband's really ratty old t-shirts a few months ago. That helped a lot, but he isn't really into the idea lol.