Strategies for calming down?

After being wound up by my very loud and rebellious 5 year old daughter 3 hours ago, I'm struggling to calm down. I'd therefore be grateful for any tips to help lower the stress and anger levels. I thought locking myself away quietly for some internet browsing would help, but sadly it didn't.

Thanks, Steve

• I do the same, although I tell myself I'm preparing workshop rags. (Yes, I have a rudimentary workshop, with quite a few tools.) But only after my partner has removed all the buttons, zips, pockets etc for reuse. But the thing is that it really is a way to unwind and prepare something useful at the same time. I'm constantly looking for ways to reuse throwaway stuff. And just about any kind of music. Youtube music concert footage, documentaries and histories. Geograph & Google Earth/Google map. I'm a map obsessive. DIY and self-help books, classic non-fiction. (Kindle) Crosswords & Sudoku. Small solar energy & energy conservation projects. I'm thinking about getting an electric chainsaw and doing some rustic sculpture with the fruit garden prunings, loppings and stumps, as i can also use hand tools to finish them. Self-hypnosis. It helps me to sleep earlier in this noisy place.

• I like this idea, but the touch of paper makes things worse if I'm worked up.

I, with permission, tore apart one of my husband's really ratty old t-shirts a few months ago. That helped a lot, but he isn't really into the idea lol.

• Thanks - I must try those. I also enjoy classical music. I find Ludovico Einaudi particularly calming.

• I have to say that is some great advice.. small toods.. perfect objects, great alignment.. it's always a hobby and  place of meditation in the making..

• For me, beethovens "fur elise" or "moonlight sonata" always calm my mind. if im having a bad night, ill put it on repeat. My poor girlfriend didnt know about this habit until one night when she was fast asleep and i was having a particularly bad night, so i put it on rather loud

• Good idea combining it with music. Perhaps an anger relief playlist is needed too.

• I had a couple of other good suggestions today.

The first was to twist up a few pages of newspaper and leave them in various places around the house. The idea is to try to pull them apart to relieve anger. My partner will hand me one if I'm in need and don't think of it myself. Not sure it sounds satisfying enough to offer proper relief, but I'll give it a try.

The second suggestion is to get a lava lamp, on the basis that watching them is very calming.

I'll look to gather all these great suggestions into a single list on the forum soon...

• All great suggestions. It is something I do already to some extent, having completely redone the front garden a couple of years ago, but making my own garden features sounds fun. I've actually been stockpiling rock, bricks, tiles, logs and various things for a while in readiness. Providing my partner is happy with the design, I'll start in 2-weeks. First job is digging out the wildlife pond :-)

• Punching bag is also a good idea. Anything that can let you feel like your in your own world.

You could have up beat music playing while using a punching bag.

• Perhaps then concentrate on the design of garden features in natural materials. A bit of stonework, some different paving (recycled bricks and slabs) or rustic carpentry (fencing, trellises, patios, vineries etc.), for instance. Stuff that doesn't necessarily involve too much craftsmanship, but with which you can definitely improve with practice. Garden centres  and recyclers will also have a lot of useful materials, but I always try to use what is already present, like bricks left over by the builders. Old pallets, sawyard offcuts. The ability to do garden layout design on a computer is a definite help. And from my own POV, I'd probably get off on the garden tools and all their possibilities. Second-hand tools from carboot sales etc.

Great list of activities, everyone!

• I love problem solving in general, especially designing things on the computer. I've just finished redesigning our rear garden, which I've enjoyed. I'm not sure if I like making things (not including gardening) - something new to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

• I hadn't thought of trying something physical like fist clenching - interesting idea - thanks. I like the thought of a punching bag hanging in the garage for letting off steam. I've added music and TV to my list of calming strategies.

• Me too - thanks :-)

• I like getting involved with learning new skills - nothing better to decompress than having to use the brain to solve interesting problems.

• This is for all the frustrated engineers/craft workers/artists out there, impacted by the spectrum. Little objects you desire. For example, looking around a farmer's market, I saw some extremely well-made & attractive woodworking handtools at a very low price. OK, I'm a former qualified carpenter, but the point is really pick the DIY/handicraft/art skill you most like and start collecting some useful tools/implements. It is the ultimate fidget really, because it can even become a productive hobby and or career. I note someone else who posted here was demonstrating the use of industrial roller bearings as twirlers. In fact, that is pretty much what all twirlers are. I bought one just to find out. but  I have to say that I got even more interested when I found that some Youtubers were incorporating twirlers into their own home-made machines - some with very practical uses. I'd even call this sort of activity a form of meditation or self-hypnosis. I also love power tools. It's all about manipulating the object until you discover a fuller range of possibilities for it. I'm sure it can be most annoying to others, but this is about you, not them. Another one for me would be maps. And then all the ancillary equipment such as distance measurers, geometry tools, GPSs, compasses and even hiking equipment. But the smaller objects are invariably the best.

My handskills aren't even that wonderful. I would say that I'm quite dyspraxic. But I figure stuff out as I go along and usually end up fixing stuff up quite well. But keep your rejects, because you never know when you might suddenly experience mender's satori. There was a time when I would deliberately destroy my rejects. These days I keep them for spare parts and/or later improvement.

I suppose you could also argue that it is better to get angry with things rather than people, but patient persistence can eventually be attained.

• Clenching my fists as hard as I can often helps but also disconnecting from the world through music or comedic TV programs is also a way of exiting a state of anger.

• I hope that you find a new bike so that you can start cycling again!

• I've recently started listening to BBC podcasts, which I enjoy ,so that could be good. I'll add it to the list now - thanks! I like gardening, especially designing them, but not sure it will be calming when I'm wound up - need to test that one...

• Thanks for the suggestion. I do wish I liked walking more, but the slow pace gives me too much time to think about what's winding me up or how I'm losing time on my hobbies. I want to take up bike riding again though, which I find takes my mind off things as you need to focus on where you're going. In fact, my latest obsession is researching a new electric bike, which I'm enjoying.