More Autistic After Diagnosis...

Obviously I know I'm not; I'm the same person, but it seems more apparent. For example at work I've started using a stress ball; I'm more aware of taking in distracting noises and feeling unable to work when there's a lot of distraction.

I'd tailor my stims in public to, for example scribbling lines and lines of figure 8's or drawing squares, whereas now I'll openly rub my neck or forehead. I've also had two meltdowns at work, whereas previously I'd somehow manage to avoid this happening at work.

I don't know whether any of this is a self-fulfilling prophecy type thing, or whether it is just a greater self-awareness and me feeling more able to be myself, with the strength provided by the diagnosis.

Anyone else experienced this type of reaction?

Parents
  • Yes definitely and I’m not even diagnosed. My husband said since I found out autism is what they know I have I am definitely a lot worse. Maybe it’s because we are more self aware now and mask a lot less? 

• I'm in a similar situation - I'm awaiting an assessment and since I've learnt more about autism, I think I notice it a lot more than I used to. I think self-awareness is key, as well as learning strategies to help (e.g. I use noise cancelling headphones a lot more than I used to, but I think that's because I never realised the impact noise had on me before - I just assumed everyone was hearing what I was).

• I'm in a similar situation - I'm awaiting an assessment and since I've learnt more about autism, I think I notice it a lot more than I used to. I think self-awareness is key, as well as learning strategies to help (e.g. I use noise cancelling headphones a lot more than I used to, but I think that's because I never realised the impact noise had on me before - I just assumed everyone was hearing what I was).

Children
  • Same here - I assumed that everyone heard the world very much like I do. Thanks to the various "sensory overload" videos on YouTube, I now know that my hearing is definitely the ASD version & have a glimpse into the NT one. Noise cancelling earbuds and earplugs are my new favourite thing in the world, and have been for a year now.