Learning to Drive - Sensory

I'm trying to learn to drive at the moment. I've had 30 hours of lessons and it's mostly going fine, but I'm really struggling to cope with the sensations of the car/ road. I can manage most of it, usually, but I really struggle with the feeling of changing gear, which is making hill starts particularly really difficult because I don't like making the engine rev because it's loud and feels horrible. And to make it worse my instructor has just got a new car and it's it's really loud.

Does anyone have any experience of learning to drive and overcoming the sensory stuff that I'm finding quite overwhelming?

Parents
  • I find driving overwhelming too! Especially on the road, since there's so much to pay attention to, like bikes, motorcycles, and people jaywalking. I think turning is especially difficult due to the bicycle lane. And intersections and roundabouts are hard too because you need to plan way ahead on where to turn and pay attention to other cars coming from different places. I've taken driving lessons before, and can drive and park fairly well in a parking lot, but gave up driving after having two road experiences. I just find the whole thing really scary. By the way, I learned an automatic instead of manual. 

• I find driving overwhelming too! Especially on the road, since there's so much to pay attention to, like bikes, motorcycles, and people jaywalking. I think turning is especially difficult due to the bicycle lane. And intersections and roundabouts are hard too because you need to plan way ahead on where to turn and pay attention to other cars coming from different places. I've taken driving lessons before, and can drive and park fairly well in a parking lot, but gave up driving after having two road experiences. I just find the whole thing really scary. By the way, I learned an automatic instead of manual. 

Children
No Data