Learning to Drive - Sensory

I'm trying to learn to drive at the moment. I've had 30 hours of lessons and it's mostly going fine, but I'm really struggling to cope with the sensations of the car/ road. I can manage most of it, usually, but I really struggle with the feeling of changing gear, which is making hill starts particularly really difficult because I don't like making the engine rev because it's loud and feels horrible. And to make it worse my instructor has just got a new car and it's it's really loud.

Does anyone have any experience of learning to drive and overcoming the sensory stuff that I'm finding quite overwhelming?

Parents
  • Don't learn in an automatic and pass your test in an automatic. If you do that you can only ever drive an automatic, which may be a problem later in life such as if you need to drive someone else's car or a company car, etc.

• Don't learn in an automatic and pass your test in an automatic. If you do that you can only ever drive an automatic, which may be a problem later in life such as if you need to drive someone else's car or a company car, etc.

Children
  • Yes just like to add though that there are so many automatic cars now that I don't think having an automatic only license is that limiting these days

• I think it depends.  On your personality, how you feel about driving, your future plans and how central driving is likely to be to these, your chances of passing in a manual (still flabbergasted i did that) plus probably a whole host of other factors.  I would be incredibly nervous driving someone else's car and for me a company car would have to be an automatic. That said, i'd be extremely unlikely to succeed in the sort of role that attracted the use of a company car anyway.  However, if it's something a person strives for then maybe the perseverence would be worth it.   

So, yes, there may be some circumstances in which a person might feel that learning on an automatic imposed limitations later on.  But I know of others who wouldn't have passed on a manual.  Not saying this necessarily applies to the OP but it all needs to be carefully weighed up, I think.