prioritising, organising, thinking ahead and remembering.

good day all.

So I've struggled for as long as I can remember predicting the consequences of an action, understanding the concept of time, detail-focused and less able to see the whole picture. I am a visual thinker.

How do you all deal with this? Do you have techniques that help you with day to day life and more complex long term objectives at work?

Parents
  • I struggled with many of the same issues but as Zomted says, having routine etc is a big help.

I only started writing to do lists and setting myself daily routines the last year or so when I realised I was on the spectrum and the difference to my quality of life has improved quite a bit because of it.

Before I would blunder through tasks, or completely forget to do even the most basic of thing or get overwhelmed by what I needed to do, but now I am better able to manage.

For me what helps is having a post-it note app on my phone that reminds me of what I need to do with a notification, so I have no excuse to forget. I will also break down bigger tasks to make them more manageable, even if sometimes it might mean it takes me longer to do than anyone else, but at least it will get done.

Time management is still a bit of an issue though as I do tend to lose track of time but I try to compensate by giving myself way more time to do a task. For example if I need to send an email I might give myself and hour to complete (even though it might only take 15mins) because I know I will probably get distracted or rewrite the email half a dozen times before sending it.

Hope that is of some help.

• I struggled with many of the same issues but as Zomted says, having routine etc is a big help.

I only started writing to do lists and setting myself daily routines the last year or so when I realised I was on the spectrum and the difference to my quality of life has improved quite a bit because of it.

Before I would blunder through tasks, or completely forget to do even the most basic of thing or get overwhelmed by what I needed to do, but now I am better able to manage.

For me what helps is having a post-it note app on my phone that reminds me of what I need to do with a notification, so I have no excuse to forget. I will also break down bigger tasks to make them more manageable, even if sometimes it might mean it takes me longer to do than anyone else, but at least it will get done.

Time management is still a bit of an issue though as I do tend to lose track of time but I try to compensate by giving myself way more time to do a task. For example if I need to send an email I might give myself and hour to complete (even though it might only take 15mins) because I know I will probably get distracted or rewrite the email half a dozen times before sending it.

Hope that is of some help.

Children
No Data