prioritising, organising, thinking ahead and remembering.

good day all.

So I've struggled for as long as I can remember predicting the consequences of an action, understanding the concept of time, detail-focused and less able to see the whole picture. I am a visual thinker.

How do you all deal with this? Do you have techniques that help you with day to day life and more complex long term objectives at work?

• I feel the pressure to do the list perfectly.  Maybe I need to have a list to prepare the list 

• I forget that Time passes and that the laws of physics cause - for example- my car to deteriorate over time.  If I remembered that Time does pass in the way it does for all things I would then not be surprised at the effects of ageing on all things, including myself.  It seems likely that I am mortal, a concept which makes sense on one level but offends my ego to such an extend that I use my imagination to dismiss it. 
    The car manufacturers are not trying to sell me rubbish: as Time passes, overused parts naturally get tired.

Reality +Me =?

• I just do my best and if other people don't like it, they can Foxtrot Oscar Alpha Delta.

I've taken more than my fair share of normie opression over the years, and I'm done with it..

• Zomted has pretty much nailed it. To-do lists, sub to-do lists, reminders and calendars! Scribbling out each task or sub-task gives me a rewarding feeling. I need this stuff more for the boring mundane 'easier' tasks.  My brain switches off and becomes uninterested so I need micro-lists to break it down otherwise I will forget a step. Yesterday at work I had a classic example of a really simple task with lots of steps, here's what I needed to do:

• Look up a name from an email
    • Search for reference number in a different system
    • Look that reference number up on a financial spreadsheet
    • Log that on a different spreadsheet
    • Create a form
    • Print it off
    • Sign it
    • Scan it
    • Email it

I failed to do it correctly and in order on almost every single one after my first attempt because I got my list wrong, I listed the names I had to do rather than the steps for each one. So although I got satisfaction from crossing off each name, I could have completed this much quicker if I'd have thought about my list more. So it's not just about writing a list - it's about writing the correct list! I learnt my lesson :) 

• I struggled with many of the same issues but as Zomted says, having routine etc is a big help.

I only started writing to do lists and setting myself daily routines the last year or so when I realised I was on the spectrum and the difference to my quality of life has improved quite a bit because of it.

Before I would blunder through tasks, or completely forget to do even the most basic of thing or get overwhelmed by what I needed to do, but now I am better able to manage.

For me what helps is having a post-it note app on my phone that reminds me of what I need to do with a notification, so I have no excuse to forget. I will also break down bigger tasks to make them more manageable, even if sometimes it might mean it takes me longer to do than anyone else, but at least it will get done.

Time management is still a bit of an issue though as I do tend to lose track of time but I try to compensate by giving myself way more time to do a task. For example if I need to send an email I might give myself and hour to complete (even though it might only take 15mins) because I know I will probably get distracted or rewrite the email half a dozen times before sending it.

Hope that is of some help.

• Been having a think about this. I don’t have a huge issue with understanding time, but I can lose track if I get absorbed in something and Can really struggle with executive function/getting things done.

For me the answer (as much as I have one) seems to be routines, to do lists, breaking down tasks into small bite size components and making the more mundane but essential things in life as easy as possible.

As far as work is concerned I use an electronic calendar, plan tasks in and set it to remind me when I need to move on to something else. If I need to I ask for help with prioritising tasks and planning, especially if something unexpected has come up or if I’m getting overwhelmed with too many tasks! If it’s something longer term I find it helps to break it down into smaller tasks that can be put in the calendar, again with help from line manager if required. The reminder to switch tasks is very important for me! Also always allow a bit of spare time for ‘unexpected extras’ otherwise they completely throw me. Somehow I can cope with them if their is a specific box for it! 

For home I have routines that mean I get to bed at an appropriate time with tomorrow’s bag packed, get up and ready and on th3 bus with everything I need without the need to actually engage brain!

I also try to automate as much as possible, eg all my bills pay themselves these days, much to the relief of the power companies etc!

For everything else: also lists. If tasks overwhelm me they tend not to get done, so again breaking them down helps. 

If you’re a visual 5hinker you could use pictures/charts/colours etc instead of lists.