A question about masking

I hear a lot about masking, but I'm not aware of myself consciously and deliberately doing that. I wonder however. Can masking be a subconscious/reflex thing rather than something that you purposely do?

Parents
  • Odd thing is I never masked much that I was aware of until I found out more about it. There were little things like growing my hair to block light, wearing headphones obsessively, and other stuff, which were more coping strategies than masking looking back.

I tic, stim, rock, speak to myself, sing and hum, imitate noises, and I've always done it. I have lots of things that people probably see as odd in my personality too. People just thought of it as odd but as they got to know me they'd just pretty much accept it and leave me alone. I have had people be a *** about it, but I can be just as much if not more of a *** than them when I'm singled out. I'm pretty easy to get along with and goof around a lot, so it sort of had a fit.

When I was diagnosed and found out about it all, I became self-concscious, and it became quite stressful. It had never really been a problem, I got into a few fights with pisstakers, but that was about it. Surpressing it was much worse, like having a brain full of worms!

I'd say if you are comfortable, unaware, and it's not much of a problem, just go on as you are. You might be doing something subconciously, not masking all, or you might not have much to mask. If you are OK don't make a thing of it, just carry on living as you are.

All the best.

• Odd thing is I never masked much that I was aware of until I found out more about it. There were little things like growing my hair to block light, wearing headphones obsessively, and other stuff, which were more coping strategies than masking looking back.

I tic, stim, rock, speak to myself, sing and hum, imitate noises, and I've always done it. I have lots of things that people probably see as odd in my personality too. People just thought of it as odd but as they got to know me they'd just pretty much accept it and leave me alone. I have had people be a *** about it, but I can be just as much if not more of a *** than them when I'm singled out. I'm pretty easy to get along with and goof around a lot, so it sort of had a fit.

When I was diagnosed and found out about it all, I became self-concscious, and it became quite stressful. It had never really been a problem, I got into a few fights with pisstakers, but that was about it. Surpressing it was much worse, like having a brain full of worms!

I'd say if you are comfortable, unaware, and it's not much of a problem, just go on as you are. You might be doing something subconciously, not masking all, or you might not have much to mask. If you are OK don't make a thing of it, just carry on living as you are.

All the best.

Children
No Data