A question about masking

I hear a lot about masking, but I'm not aware of myself consciously and deliberately doing that. I wonder however. Can masking be a subconscious/reflex thing rather than something that you purposely do?

Parents
  • Oh I havent thought of it like this. I'm 37 now and only recently it was mentioned I may be Autistic. Looking back I have masked all of my life, I tried commiting suicide twice due to overload. Now I know what was causing this and now I'm not trying to fit in I'm happier. I still struggle with people, just today I've had a situation with a neighbour that has made me uncomfortable and anxious which I'm sure was because of masking, trtying to fit in, be accepted. I go about it all wrong and people take advantage. I sometimes think I've masked so long I forget not to mask

• Oh I havent thought of it like this. I'm 37 now and only recently it was mentioned I may be Autistic. Looking back I have masked all of my life, I tried commiting suicide twice due to overload. Now I know what was causing this and now I'm not trying to fit in I'm happier. I still struggle with people, just today I've had a situation with a neighbour that has made me uncomfortable and anxious which I'm sure was because of masking, trtying to fit in, be accepted. I go about it all wrong and people take advantage. I sometimes think I've masked so long I forget not to mask

Children
No Data