A question about masking

I hear a lot about masking, but I'm not aware of myself consciously and deliberately doing that. I wonder however. Can masking be a subconscious/reflex thing rather than something that you purposely do?

Parents
  • Here's a thought about masking. Can children see straight through it? They haven't developed the complex skill of indirect language yet. Weirdly children flock to me - can they see straight through me?? Yesterday I went to nursery for an hour with my son to play. I was surrounded within minutes by loads of kids. The other dads were left alone with their own kids. I haven't got anything against it, I just find it odd! This happens to me all the time, even when meeting children for the first time - they feel at ease with me. In a room with adults it's usually me playing with all the kids. Is it because we're communicating on the same level, i.e. literally with no mind games or hidden meanings?

There was one little girl who doesn't talk or approach anybody - she held my hand and tried to lead me away to play with her, bless her heart!

• children flock to me

Me too. And animals trust me

• Me too - always having dog owners say "he never does that with anyone else" when their dog is asleep upside down at my feet.    I seem to exude calm so the animals relax around me.    

• Daughter's just done 2 weeks volunteering at an animal sanctuary - she's all kittened out.

Reply Children
No Data