Dealing with smells

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with smells without coming across badly?

I'm starting to get really sensitive to smells such as:

• Junk food that our daughter and boyfriend tend to cook late at night after we've cleaned and freshened the kitchen (OK I know asking her not to is an option and it seems to be working *for now*).
  • Orange peel - after a few minutes for me this stops smelling of oranges and starts smelling like stale cigarette ash
  • Things like pilchards in salads that people eat at their desks in the office
  • Strong perfumes, hand creams & air fresheners

No word of a lie some of these smells actually give me a headache.

I wish there were a nasal equivalent of noise cancelling ear buds!

Parents
  • There are smells that I cannot cope with like perfume or air fresheners. However, to bring a positive note to the debate, I realised earlier, I also really like some smells, so its not all negative. I love the smell of grass, and I do not mean the herbal medicinal type. I just mean the green stuff that grows in the garden. I like cutting the grass. I find it therapeutic, and I love the smell of cut grass. Maybe the two are linked...

• Yes me too - cut grass, sandalwood, gloss paint, corn stubble (in a field), hay, honeysuckle, Labrador fur/skin (fresh, not stale!), hamster fur/skin (fresh & living again), curry, oregano, coffee, coffee, coffee, toast, frying onions..........

• I don't think I've ever sniffed a labrador!  Bad smekls make my heave. A few years ago I had a really smelly student and it was difficult not to heave in class. I dabbed some of my favourite essential oil onto a scarf so I could smell that instead when I went near the student. Maybe you could try that? I don't know your fashion style maybe dab some on a handkerchief?

• I'm convinced I was the first person to use the description of referring to something smelling of 'wet dog'. 

It was over 30 years ago and a lot of things used to smell that way to me. I remember the people around me at that time thinking it was really funny and me just being bemused saying ' have you not smelled a dog before when it's wet?' No, they said I hadn't noticed.

It was a smell that haunted my nasal passages for around 10 years, now there are only particular things that smell that way, still makes me wretch though.

• I'm convinced I was the first person to use the description of referring to something smelling of 'wet dog'. 

It was over 30 years ago and a lot of things used to smell that way to me. I remember the people around me at that time thinking it was really funny and me just being bemused saying ' have you not smelled a dog before when it's wet?' No, they said I hadn't noticed.

It was a smell that haunted my nasal passages for around 10 years, now there are only particular things that smell that way, still makes me wretch though.

Children
No Data