Disclosing potential ASD diagnosis at work

Hello all. I’m new here and hoped someone may be able to help me, or whether anyone has experience with this. I have searched the forum but couldn’t find anything quite like the issue I have. 

I have been in continuous employment at one company for the last 7 years. I am a female in my 30s. 

I am currently going through the autism diagnostic process with the NHS. I have completed Stage 1 and have been invited back for Stage 2, though I don’t have a date for this yet. 

I do intend to tell work if a diagnosis is confirmed, however something has come up and I may need to disclose this earlier than anticipated. 

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? Is it worth telling them even though I don’t know if it will be confirmed?

Parents
  • My declaring at work was the worst thing I ever did.  It opened me up to all sorts of abuse and bullying, being excluded from things and being talked about behind my back.   It was career suicide.

I was exceptional in the role but I couldn't cope with the utter incompetence and lies from my manager.   My appraisals were BS and, because I cannot function when I am so abused, my ability to communicate disappears and the only words shouting in my head is F*** OFF.   Better to say nothing - so I become mute.

The bully wins.

• I totally agree with you. Over the years I have learned to bite my lip. But in periods of stress I can easily lose it over something that I would ordinarily ignore. That said I've got to the point of not giving a stuff at work and would be quite glad to be made redundant. All the so called support our company offers is purely to tick boxes :(

• Yes - top management brag about inclusiveness and HR departments claim to follow policies - but in reality, anyone with ANY needs is a liability that needs to be excised.  They really only want robots that can be used and abused - anything else is too much hassle.

• Yes - top management brag about inclusiveness and HR departments claim to follow policies - but in reality, anyone with ANY needs is a liability that needs to be excised.  They really only want robots that can be used and abused - anything else is too much hassle.

Children
  • Exactly like my place.  Just seen the counsellor for the latest session and my stress test level has more than doubled in the last month as well as my anxiety level has more than doubled in the same time period too (All work related).  The counsellor is going to mention that to OH now but HR/Damagement/TU still remain talking about things and not involving me (outside procedures).

The first visit was mental health awareness week and the counsellor realises that it is all talk.

I am dreading every day because I fear the worst case scenario but of course still d not have a full diagnosis.

• That is the problem, the management and HR like to bang on about inclusivity but it reality a lot of it is just flag waving so they can say we have done training and have a policy in place, but then actually ignore their policies and training