Jazz hands

Several times a week I walk along the seafront where I live and drink copious amounts of rum. I talk to imaginary friends and have a good old time. I'm slowly killing myself. I'm one of the last big drinkers. 

Parents
  • I worry about you sometimes, I really do. It sounds like you're struggling a bit with things. Is there anyone that can help you? Or as someone else suggested, talk with us, we are happy to help and support you as best we can.

• I'm on the ropes but haven't given up yet. (Why did I have to use that metaphor? A) Metaphors are too commonplace and B) I hate boxing!)

There's no one I can think of offline who can help. 

After 3 days drinking back-to-back I'm sober today. Baking three potatoes in the oven to have for lunch. Just brushed my teeth to get the alcohol scent and flavour out too. 

I won't drink for the rest of the week now, it's the weekend when I'm likely to feel the temptation strongly again.

• I'm on the ropes but haven't given up yet. (Why did I have to use that metaphor? A) Metaphors are too commonplace and B) I hate boxing!)

There's no one I can think of offline who can help. 

After 3 days drinking back-to-back I'm sober today. Baking three potatoes in the oven to have for lunch. Just brushed my teeth to get the alcohol scent and flavour out too. 

I won't drink for the rest of the week now, it's the weekend when I'm likely to feel the temptation strongly again.

Children
  • Have you tried talking to your GP to ask them to refer you on to a service that can help you? There's a service around here called Open Road they probably have similar in most Areas, where they will help people who have non-addiction drug and alcohol problems. They use alternative therapies such as acupuncture and would support you and help you to help yourself with finding ways to overcome your issues with drinking Alcohol.

I'm glad that you're sober today. Hope you enjoyed the baked potatoes? 

Are you able to do something else at the weekend to distract yourself from wanting to drink?

• I don't know, I just want more warmth and kindness from people. To not feel like an outsider and isolated all the time. Thank you for being kind.

• I only just had the potatoes, I sprinkled them with salt and cooked at 180 for 1 hour, 50 minutes. They were delicious. Slight smile

I don't think there's anything like that Open Road service you mentioned here though there is simple counselling for alcohol addiction which I am engaging with once a fortnight. 

I think I might need something else that's exciting instead of the drink at weekends. Also something that can ease stress like alcohol initially does (until the bad effects kick in).

• What about asking your Gp for a librium detox to lesten the withdrawal?

• Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't familiar with that drug. I'll mention it to my GP.

• If he's not drinking every day then he's not addicted so it's not an addiction issue per se. If that's the case then he doesn't require a Librium Detox. It sounds like more of a binge drinking issue so it's more a support and counselling job. All this is of course only my humble opinion based on the information stated on this thread. It would of course be best to ask your GP for advice.

• Go camping at the weekends in the middle of nowhere and don't take any alcohol with you! Do a bit of cooking on a campfire and enjoy nature.

• Sounds peaceful. Only thing is what do you do if (heaven forbid) the call of nature comes?

• ‘Greenfield toileting’ dig a hole or take a bucket with you!

• I keep thinking people are happier when I'm not around. I deactivated my Facebook account for 2 days, came back and everyone who'd gone quiet was back to their normal happy selves. 

How's your day been anyway?

I boiled some quinoa with maple syrup and cinnamon for supper, that was pretty nice.