Are you good at identifying emotions/feelings within yourself?

Example 1: At my last psych appointment the pdoc said I looked happy. I didn't think I was.

Example 2: Was recently seen at main hospital emergency department  because of chest pains. Tests were ok, but BP was higher than normal . Had to go for follow up the next day . Doctor said it had been  raised because I was anxious. Apparently my pulse rate was fast.  I hadn't noticed I was anxious.

I don't think it happens all the time ie I sometimes know when I'm anxious etc .

Parents
  • I can totally relate, I have alexithymia and that is mainly around emotional experiences and problems, you might want to check it out.

I hate the question how do you feel as almost all of the time I feel neutral and the only times I don’t feel neutral is when I’m horrifically depressed or ecstatic. I use music to try and trigger emotions and get a mental response to what I’m seeing.

For example I watched someone die and I was quite interested in what was happening but felt no emotion at all.

Whereas I was more emotionally affected when I saw Gotham wasn’t renewing for a 6th season.

My emotional responses are often unpredictable which makes me a difficult person to understand or predict. I find it difficult to understand other people’s emotions and can never give advice or emotional comfort.

I can never know what words to describe how I’m feeling and when I don’t feel anything I often have to put on certain emotions.

I can tell if I’m anxious as that happens a lot and when I’m annoyed but that’s mostly it.

• Hi Will Young! (I won’t do my usual habit of just putting an initial for your second name!) Sorry. I can be skitty, no offence meant. I agree with you that it is I important to be you as far as you can, without causing harm to others of course. I too use music to bring out my background emotions. I think they are already there, but music brings them to a more recognisable place. 

Again I can be skitty if someone asks me how I feel and if I am perplexed and cannot find the words I might just quip “With my fingers!” 

Next question might be “How do you see yourself?”

Answer “In a mirror. “ 

I do know what they are actually asking these days, but it’s difficult to respond with language/body language they understand. 

• Same, I can totally relate with the skitty comments like when someone asks me how to do something like cook a nice meal or make a nice cake. I’ll just say put put it in the oven and take it out so it doesn’t burn. 

People get annoyed with me when I do it as I can’t explain stuff properly and I often take their question literally.

Most people get freaked out by what I talk about because it doesn’t phase me but it does them. Like the Second World War or murders and how to get away with one.

People tell me to talk about things with people and then when I do they criticise the topics in the conversation. NT’s are so annoying sometimes. 

• Liverpool has to do anything possible to try to win the game and it shows that little things can do a lot 

Reply Children
No Data